0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Cooling Fan and other problems

Silent Planet

I just purchased a Creation Station Dual Tower. Eagerly anticipating what was advertised as the quietist computer in the world, I was quite put out when I turned it on and heard a very loud scraping sound of metal on metal. When I opened the case I was shocked to find the cooling fan just dangling from the cable, not even screwed into the housing. Luckily I was able to find the tiny screws floating around in the case and attach the fan, which seemed to be working fine (but what do I know, this isn't really my forte...) I suspect that there is still some kind of overheating problem, because whenever attempting to do any kind of intense processing (like converting my old mac pro tools sessions into pc format) it shuts itself off and attempts to reboot, although most of the time it never gets past the dos prompt. In one instance it managed to give me the blue screen of death with the error message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." I have no idea what this means, and I'm still trying to find out. Perhaps I didn't install the fan properly? I'm losing money rapidly as I haven't been able to work in these weeks of waiting for my machine to arrive, and now I'm losing even more with this exciting new development. I called tech support and was told they would call me back. That was two days ago...... I'm starting to wish I had just gotten another Mac. Someone had better reply to this.
November 5, 2006 @06:36am
Silent Planet

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
"This issue can occur when the Driver Verifier feature is enabled and a driver has used an improper address. Note that the driver that is causing this issue may be listed in the error message."
I haven't installed any new drivers or hardware, which means that perhaps something wasn't installed properly before shipping? I also read on a geek forum that a dude flashed his BIOS and took out all additional hardware and updated all his drivers and he was still getting that message until he had to replace the heat sink and that fixed it. I need some guidence.....
November 5, 2006 @06:48am
dpd

Call Sweetwater Tech Support - sounds like someone messed up building the PC.
November 6, 2006 @12:43am
Justin

Which fan was loose in the case? The one on top of the CPU, or the one on the back panel?
I've never heard of one of those coming loose.
Regardless, the fan not being installed properly should not result in the error message you're seeing.
This is very unusual. I'd like to get you with one of our techs so that they can investigate this further.
Call 1.800.222.4700 x 6400 and talk to service, or e-mail or PM me your details and can have someone call you. (If you have your Sweetwater Invoice #, I can find everything from that)
November 6, 2006 @01:57pm