0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale! Ends Today

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

latency issues with presonus firebox

georgie fruit

i am having serious latency issues using my presonus firebox when recording audio tracks. i have a new mac book pro with a 17" screen and i am using logic pro academic version 7. there are no latency issues when recording and playing back midi tracks but there is a very noticeable delay when recording audio.
i have tried adjusting the buffer levels and relaunching logic but it doesn't make any difference. in order to make the audio files sound somewhat insync with the midi files i have to drag the audio files backwards in the arrangement window and deal with it not being perfectly lined up.
this is time consuming and annoying.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
October 27, 2006 @08:51pm
JeffBarnett

If you purchased the Firebox from Sweetwater, give our tech support department a call. They can help you out with this.
If not, your best bet is to contact the manufacturers involved (Apple and PreSonus) for tech support.
Not to steal traffic away from the Sweetwater forum, but I'd recommend posting a message on the PreSonus forum at www.audioforums.com. There are several tech support folks from PreSonus who are active there, as well as lots of other FireBox / FirePod users, and I'm sure they can help you troubleshoot.
October 27, 2006 @08:56pm
Rad

Strange. Usually people have latency issues in Windows but not in Mac (due to a well-documented problems with XP service pack2 with firewire).
Sounds like a software problem.
Try the following:
1) Usually the program you are recording to has its own buffers independent of the latency set in the Firebox panel. Try varying their size in addition to the buffer size in the panel.
2) Disconnect your pc from the internet and disable ALL firewalls and virus protection resident programs that take up RAM. Your latency may be coming from memory-intesive processes that take up unnecessary RAM. When recording, last thing you want virus protection messing up with your sound buffering.
3) Change HDD settings to give priority to background processes. This is a setting in Windows but should be available in Mac also.
4) There is a book called Practical recording techniques by Bruce Bartlett which has an entire chapter on how to configure your computer for computer recording. I believe it has recommendations for mac and windows.
October 28, 2006 @09:23pm
dnice

I've had similar problems off and on at random times since I purchased the first macbook pro, logic, and firepod. These problems come and go with little reason or solution. It's hard to tell which is to blame but it's cost me time and money. If anyone has any great insight PLEASE post it. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to have to try a new combination of gear.
June 26, 2007 @07:43pm