0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

What's the easiest music software to learn (for tech dummies)?

garmonbozia

Does anyone who has used a number of different programs for PC have an opinion? I tried ProTools and got really bogged down in the technical complexities of it all and found that I could not get a hang of basic operations (I've heard some say that ProTools is easy, and I've heard others say it's one of the less user-friendly ones out there, so I don't know... anything is easy if you have the aptitude for it, but if you don't it can be tough going)...
Basically I just want to record, multitrack, process, mix, edit and master my own musical creations, I don't need a galaxy of features and routing options and bells & whistles etc: I've found that the more options and choices I have, the more confusing it is and the more it slows down my creative process...
Any opinions on Adobe Audition? My friend recommends this one and has offered to install it for me and give me free tutoring for as long as it takes for me to get the hang of using it...
October 22, 2006 @04:59pm
Vincent

Hi, Cubase sx lite is really easy to use and is pretty straight forward. I just upgraded to cubase 4 and it comes with quick time vidoes and it does a good job taking you thru every process. I don't know if sx le (lite) comes with these same vidoes but i think you can get them from cubase's website.
I have for sale a e-mu 1820m digital audio interface that comes with cubase sx le on the installation disk.
email if you are interested in the e-mu or have questions about cubase sx le.
Peace and God bless,
Vincent
vbepoet@yahoo.com
October 23, 2006 @02:12am
Justin

If you're on a PC, the big three are ProTools, Cubase, and Sonar.
They all have their own individual differences, but the overall concept it very similar.
I'd say do some research and see what software you're leaning towards.
Then go check out Groovebox Music's tutorial videos. They do a great job of explaining the basics visually.
http://www.grooveboxmusic.com/store/home.php?
We carry their whole line on CD. So if you decide what software you're going to get, I highly recommend picking up the tutorial CD for it.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Groovebox_Corp
October 23, 2006 @12:26pm
garmonbozia

Groovebox, that's the name of the tutorial site I went to for the ProTools tutorials, I couldn't recall it... yeah, their tutorials were pretty good (I didn't know you could buy them on DVD) and I paid for two blocks of time to view them... but I got stuck on the mixdown process... I recorded some tracks and then I was not able to mix them down to the stereo master track... and I looked all thru the tutorials contents and viewed all the relevant ones, and searched the manual, and I couldn't figure out what it was I wasn't doing right... got discouraged and gave up...
October 23, 2006 @04:48pm
Justin

I should correct myself. They're on CD, not DVD. So you can watch them on the computer while you go back and forth to your software.
I think they're more helpful than the PDF manuals you get with most software these days.
October 24, 2006 @06:49pm
robertallen

I know when I first purchased my Digi001 way back in the day (I sound old) I wound up buying a book by David Franz that helped me in my journey learning the software. I've tried other software like Cubase and wound up lost.
If all else fails you can always ask a question on how to do something. Feel free to send me a Private Message anytime you have a question, I'd be glad to help.
November 29, 2006 @03:06am
mikjay

I hope I'm not bawled out of the park for this, but FL Studio has a simple learning curve and is very user friendly. Contrary to what some may think, it is not a toy. The interface is wonderful and friendly, the support is fantastic, it's much cheaper than the competition, and it comes with lifetime free upgrades. Please don't take my word for it, because anybody can talk about how good something is, but you're the only one that knows what you like.
The demo is fully functional you just cannot save. Here are a couple links: Download the demo, Information about the program. For what it's worth, I've been using it for about a year and have only become happier with it as the days go by. Good luck!
December 10, 2006 @04:33am
Audioholic

In my opinion, having worked with DP, logic and cubase, Pro tools is actually one of the easiest to learn and use once you learn to use it well.
December 10, 2006 @04:56am
afcman

What's your background experience? I've used just about everything on the PC. My background was analog tape. For me the easiest was SAWStudio, which I still use. Sonar and Cubase were fairly easy as well until you try to do more advanced stuff.
If you are just wanting to do basic tracking and mixing then go for the lite versions. I would tell you to go with either Sonar Home or SAWStudioBasic. Both are powerful and don't require a dongle (which I hate).
Be aware that Pro Tools requires certain chipsets and hardware. And frankly, if you want to use Pro Tools you might as well get a MAC computer.
December 30, 2006 @12:39am
dpd

Be aware that Pro Tools requires certain chipsets and hardware.

Yup
And frankly, if you want to use Pro Tools you might as well get a MAC computer.

Nope
===
Buy some books, whatever software you choose to purchase. that way, you don't need to play 'hide the application window' to read the help - even with a dual-monitor setup on my PT system, I keep a couple / three books beside me all the time.
December 30, 2006 @03:19am
garmonbozia

Thanks to all above for your replies...
Actually, my background is previous owning and using a Yamaha AW16G DAW - It took me a while to master the digital recording procedures offered on that machine (which were admittedly limited though I was able to do pretty much all of what I wanted to do, albeit with sometimes time-consuming workarounds), but by time I had it down the hard drive started crashing so I got rid of it...
Lately I have been recording from a mixer into a two-track stereo CD recorder which has zero options for editing or multitracking - So I take what I record there and have been editing and multitracking on my PC with the cheapo Audacity software - I am actually going to continue to make do with that arrangement until I get the money together to get a new computer so I can do proper music production (Creation Station, of course)...
December 30, 2006 @04:12am
afcman

ately I have been recording from a mixer into a two-track stereo CD recorder which has zero options for editing or multitracking - So I take what I record there and have been editing and multitracking on my PC with the cheapo Audacity software

Well I wish I could have had that kind of power back in the '80's when I was using a Fostex 4-track cassette! :D
December 30, 2006 @03:51pm
tws

I've used Cool Edit, Adobe Audition 1.5 and Audition 2.0, Cubase LE and a shareware program called Reaper. I think the Cool Edit/Adobe Auditon's has a more "intuitive" interface than the others I've tried. I have the full Audition 2.0 pack with the printed manual and it is very user friendly. From what I've read, Cubase 4 and Sonar 5 etc. have much better MIDI capabilities and equal if not better audio recording. I think that Audition has better documentation.
February 6, 2007 @03:39am
maggie90

s far as a DAW , Im not sure if any ones aware of this but I thought I share my experiences and what has worked for me. I can speak from experience when I was a beginner. I was I did some research online , and found a program that was really good and pretty intuitive software I became pretty decent in a few days.
Which is most important to me for beginners is ease of use. I wasn't expecting it to be so great but it really surprised me. Works very well for my midi controller and pads.. (MPK 25) I bought it from this website here http://makemagicmusic.net/ . I used them as a beginner and used for a very long time.. I still use it today from time to time.
Also very cheap which is why I bought it at the time im all to familiar with "The struggle" lol.. but other programs like protools and logic are good buut thats gonn run you thousands for sure and is difficult like you said ealier.. would check out either linustectips build for his work station. The only thing I would change about this build is to use Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX mother board. Or you could go with a ASUS P9X79-E WS board either way it kicks ASS for music ( this build I use now and cost like 3,500$) but its really good. But the program I mentioned ealier runs on any "regular use" computer so the barrier to entry is much lower..a really good entry level software you can make samples with MANY options, virtual interments etc..and is super simple to use... I think it would be great for you..
Best wishes
April 12, 2014 @06:36am