rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

SM58 vs. Beta 58A

fusionstudios

I've been looking for a quality live vocal mic and have narrowed it down to either the Shure SM58 or the Shure Beta 58A. My only question is, is the Beta worth the extra $60? I will be using the mic mainly in a pop/rock band. Thanks!
October 16, 2006 @01:13pm
slowdive

The Beta 58 is by far worth the extra money. I have used the Beta 58 for my own live vocals for the past 5 years, and it just sounds great. I was in a band with a female singer and it sounded even better on her voice. She later bought a regular 58 to save some cash, and the difference was very noticeable...
I would highly reccommend the Beta 58. I use it everyday.
October 16, 2006 @01:52pm
Mr Blues

Are these beta 58's mic better then the Shure SM58's, if so in what way?
I have a shure SM 58 whih is great . I was also thinking of getting the AKG 1000 , would you say these wee good on vocals as well as guitars?
Dave
October 16, 2006 @03:54pm
fusionstudios

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and order the beta.
October 16, 2006 @03:57pm
Cory Cooper

I have both, and I prefer the Beta 58A over the SM58. It has a sweeter high-end and stronger output level.
SM58
Pattern: Cardiod
Freq: 50-15K Hz
Output: 1.85mV
Weight: 10.5 oz
Beta 58A
Pattern: Supercardiod
Freq: 50-16K Hz
Output: 2.6mV
Weight: 9.92 oz
C
October 16, 2006 @08:44pm
Mr Blues

Thanks , I'll get one too.
Dave
October 16, 2006 @11:10pm
The Bionic Board

I like them both.
I think the Beta's have more high end "sizzle" but a plain jane 58 sounds smoother if not "warmer" to my ears. I'd have to A/B them both again to be more accurate in my judgement.
October 17, 2006 @12:34am
OliverTwisT

The Beta Just has more high end, and it is not noticeable in the mix of thing in live music.
January 28, 2012 @04:16am
OliverTwisT

I like them both.
I think the Beta's have more high end "sizzle" but a plain jane 58 sounds smoother if not "warmer" to my ears. I'd have to A/B them both again to be more accurate in my judgement.

You are very correct!!!
January 28, 2012 @04:16am
michaelhoddy

Beta has a much stronger high-mid lift, which makes it brighter and allows it to cut through the mix more. Whether this is a good thing depends on the singer- it works well for most female singers and some smoother male singers, but also can have the effect of making some singers sound very harsh and thin.
The other major difference from the regular 58 is a tighter polar pattern. I'm not sure I'd say this always makes the mic more resistant to feedback, because I've actually had the opposite experience a few times when the channel EQ has been doctored enough to overcome the Beta's inherent "personality."
January 29, 2012 @12:41pm
TimmyP1955

Would you rather drop a hammer on your right toe or your left toe? It's somewhat like that difference. I'd prefer an OM3, 767a, or PL80a.
February 5, 2012 @05:35am
kidfixer

Would you rather drop a hammer on your right toe or your left toe? It's somewhat like that difference. I'd prefer an OM3, 767a, or PL80a.

So, using your analogy, you would rather drop a CHEAP hammer on YOUR toes? I would have understood you offering an alternative if you said "Neumann KMS105", but neither Audix nor EV are as reliable and rugged as Shure for live applications.
October 13, 2013 @07:21pm
TimmyP1955

So, using your analogy, you would rather drop a CHEAP hammer on YOUR toes? I would have understood you offering an alternative if you said "Neumann KMS105", but neither Audix nor EV are as reliable and rugged as Shure for live applications.

I'd rather have a mic that's 90% reliable and sounds good than one that's 99% reliable and makes me wish I had a different mic every time I use it. And that's before taking into account how much more bleed the Shures pick up.
October 24, 2013 @09:25am
TreeLeaf

I'd rather have a mic that's 90% reliable and sounds good than one that's 99% reliable and makes me wish I had a different mic every time I use it. And that's before taking into account how much more bleed the Shures pick up.

So what mic would you recommend then? A used OM3 is pretty cheap these days.
February 8, 2016 @10:38am