0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

3 Best OverHead pairs for drums.

edcampos

I'm looking to buy a pair of overhead mics for drums. I don't really have a set budget. I'm open to all sugestions. I was just wondering what some of you have used and got good results from. Feel free to post any ideas. Thank you very much!
October 9, 2006 @06:49pm
fLiPaudio

414's, u87's, tlm103's, earthworks
October 9, 2006 @08:20pm
REMY C.

WELL... GREAT TOPIC.... I WOULD HAVE TO SAY U-87'S AND 414'S BUT EVERYBODY'S GONNA SAY THAT.... SO WHEN IT COMES TO OH'S I LOOK FOR OTHER MANU. BESIDES NEUMANN AND AKG... MICROTECH GEFELL M 294'S AND M 930'S UMM...SCHOEPS...MBHO'S AND JOSEPHSON'S CHECK THEM OUT...I KNOW IVE NAMED MICS SWEETWATER DOSENT STOCK...LOL IM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THE M 930'S FROM MG... DONT FORGET ABOUT RIBBONS.. IM COSIDERING A PAIR OF COLES 4038'S I KINDA SPLIT BETWEEN ROYER 122'S AND THE COLES... THOUGH MANY SWEAR THE COLES ARE BETTER SOUNDING THE RIBBONS ARE MORE DELICANT NOT TO SAY ANY RIB. MIC ISNT... SO MY VOTE IS FOR M930'S AND 4038'S
October 9, 2006 @08:39pm
Audioholic

earthworks are nice for percussive instruments in me opinion
October 9, 2006 @08:42pm
michaelhoddy

I like 414-TLII's (surprise), Neumann KM-84's (not 184's), and, on a budget, Shure KSM-137's or 141's. I've also had good success with assorted Audio-Technica mics: 4033's, 4050's, and 4041's. In certain situations, I even like the Royer SF-12 stereo ribbon.
Lots of good choices out there.
October 9, 2006 @08:55pm
Ted

The SF12 has become an incredibly popular choice for overhead use...just put it up and you've pretty much got a great sound, instantly. A pair of SF1's would also be a good choice if you wanted a little more flexibility with position. Due mainly to its price I wouldn't say that the SF24 has become "incredibly" popular, but it's a good choice as well. I have a pair of R121's I've used occasionally and always been happy with the sound, although I usually utilize them as room microphones and throw up my TC20's overhead.
Before I'd make a blanket recommendation, though, I'd ask what kind of drumset you were using, what type of room you were recording in, what style of music you are recording, what type of sound you're going for, what microphones (if any) you're using on the other drums and which ones, etc...there are a lot of good choices out there.
-Ted
October 9, 2006 @09:48pm
edcampos

Sorry for not having been too specific on my original post. I will be recording mostly rock and other styles where drums are usually played loud. Every drum will be close-miked. The room is about 15 X 30 feet and is not perfectly treated, it is a work in progress. There are no standing bass wave and minor flutter issues which I am currently addressing. Some of the mics I own now are: Audix DP5 kit, pair of KM184 (Michael, do you know how much a pair of 84s runs?), AKG D112, SM57, and the latest addition was a U87. The pre amps are the Vintech 473 for bass, snare, and toms, and the Presonus Digimax LT on everything else. All going into a Digi002. The drums are orange county. One set is acrylic the other is maple. They are very loud drums. I guess that's all for background info. Would it be a good idea to get another U87 maybe? How about the C414's? Would a pair of tube mics such as the Rode K2 work? What is the main difference between ribbon and condensers as far as drum overheads go? How about a more budget concious alternative? Thanks again for all the help!
October 10, 2006 @02:04am
REMY C.

WELL .... 414'S, 451'S AND EARTHWORKS ARE A GOOD PLACE TO START... BUT IF YOUVE ALREADY GOT A U87 I KINDA MAKES SENSE TO GET ANOTHER AND SINCE NEUMANN'S ARE PRETTY MUCH BUILT EXACT I WOULDNT REALLY THINK MATCHING SPECS WOULD BE TOO FAR OFF ON THE MICS... NOW IF YOURE A TRUE GEAR NUT.... YOU MIGHT ALSO GET A PAIR OF 414'S OR EARTHWORKS... CAUSE AS ANYONE WELL KNOWS YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY MICS....
October 11, 2006 @09:13pm
PatrickBoyd

I have been using a Royer SF-12 for just over a month now. I think there have been about 4 drum sessions and it has been amazing. It has taken a little getting used to as far as placement/EQ is concerned, but is well worth the investment. The mic takes EQ better than any mic I've ever used before. I like the SF-12/John Hardy M-1/Massive Passive combo the most so far, but still have some experimenting to do.
October 12, 2006 @04:20pm