0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

What is the best keyboard cables for the money?

mikec5vert

Hi,
I am looking for 1/4 to 1/4 from my keyboards to the mixer.
Monster cables are nice but they are overpriced so I'm looking for diff brand.
Thanks in advance!!!
-Mike
October 9, 2006 @01:48am
shadowcompany

Overpriced, probably depending who you ask. They are the best though so if you want the best, its them.
October 9, 2006 @03:21am
mikec5vert

So you do know the bet place to get them?
I have searched around and the best price I got is $5 off MSRP.
Thanks,
-Mike
October 9, 2006 @05:10pm
Andrews928

Monster cables are a total waste of money especially for your type of audio application. Just look for a well manufactured cable, the spec stuff is a joke. I used a $150 monster DVI cable in a projection application and than compared it to a $40 cable I purchased on-line. There was no difference on my 10ft screen. Did the same with my Toshiba 62in DLP no difference. It certainly is not going to make any difference on a simple analog signal.
October 28, 2006 @06:53pm
DAS

Monster cables are a total waste of money especially for your type of audio application. Just look for a well manufactured cable, the spec stuff is a joke. I used a $150 monster DVI cable in a projection application and than compared it to a $40 cable I purchased on-line. There was no difference on my 10ft screen. Did the same with my Toshiba 62in DLP no difference. It certainly is not going to make any difference on a simple analog signal.

That premise (that your digital video cable didn't make a difference, so an audio cable won't) is pretty flawed. I'm not writing on behalf of Monster specifically, but...the ways in which cables impact digital transmissions versus analog transmission are very different. Well...technically many of the problems are the same, but the manifestations of them are very different.
There are also lots of other variables in each system that can cause different cabling to have more or less impact on things.
October 30, 2006 @01:34pm
Andrews928

"the ways in which cables impact digital transmissions versus analog transmission are very different. Well...technically many of the problems are the same, but the manifestations of them are very different."
Well which one is it? In my situation the cable length was over 40 ft. At that point a poor quality DVI cable would show signs of amplitude degradation, jitter degradation, or propagation delay.
Lets put it this way. If you go with the lowest possible quality cable in any situation(analog or digital) something could show up reflecting the poor quality of the cable. I do not believe for a second that a decent quality audio cable in the posters situation, something half the price of the Monster cable will make any difference.
October 30, 2006 @03:24pm
DAS

Well which one is it?

Analog and digital cables suffer from most of the same types of interference and degradation phenomenon. Ultimately we are still transmitting voltages (analog) down each type, so the same problems can occur. However, the difference lies in the frequency of information transmitted, termination issues, and ultimately the way in which the information is processed at the receiving end. There are certain problems that can compromise an analog signal (to varying degrees) that don't tend to show up in digital until they are extremely bad, but then there are other things that can occur in a digital system which wouldn't tend to be a problem for an analog system. They're just different. That's all. You can't apply experiences with one type of signal cable across the board to all others. You can talk about build quality and other issues, but not noticing a difference in your picture has very little to do with how a mic cable will perform under its unique set of circumstances, for instance.
And again, let's not forget that different environments can sometimes reveal problems that aren't noticeable otherwise.
October 30, 2006 @04:33pm
Andrews928

I agree with most of what you said its just when you spend $50 for a Monster 20Ft 1/4in keybd./guitar cable you can tell the difference between that and something around $25
October 30, 2006 @07:20pm
DAS

I agree with most of what you said its just when you spend $50 for a Monster 20Ft 1/4in keybd./guitar cable you can tell the difference between that and something around $25

There are a significant number people who claim that they can, and are clearly willing to spend the money to back up their claims (and some of them are pretty well respected names in the industry).
Again, I suspect that the results obtained depend on a variety of factors, not least of which is the environment, the quality of the playback system in question, and finally...the all important recipient (listener).
To say that there is NO performance difference (as if it's an objective reality any sane person would agree with) is a pretty extreme position to take. Still, I am fine with that position...I just don't buy into basing that conclusion on results obtained from (at best) tangentially related endeavors.
October 30, 2006 @08:59pm
Andrews928

"To say that there is NO performance difference (as if it's an objective reality any sane person would agree with) is a pretty extreme position to take"
Yikes!!! Lighten up, were talking about cables not NK having a nuclear weapon.
So how far does the AVERAGE musician carry this logic. Spend $90 for a 20ft Klotz cable, how about $125 for a 20ft Zaolla? People say they hear the difference between a Monster and Zaolla cable. Where does it end for the average person.
How much is hype?? I don't know, I could not find a link from any of the high end mfg's that were able to prove it with actual measurements.
October 31, 2006 @06:52am
DAS

"To say that there is NO performance difference (as if it's an objective reality any sane person would agree with) is a pretty extreme position to take"
Yikes!!! Lighten up, were talking about cables not NK having a nuclear weapon.

huh? I'm pretty clear about what we're talking about. Are you?
So how far does the AVERAGE musician carry this logic. Spend $90 for a 20ft Klotz cable, how about $125 for a 20ft Zaolla? People say they hear the difference between a Monster and Zaolla cable. Where does it end for the average person.

To be determined by the average person. Declaring that expensive cables are "not worth it" is different than declaring they don't make a difference.
How much is hype?? I don't know, I could not find a link from any of the high end mfg's that were able to prove it with actual measurements.

Agreed. I see people talking about a lot of things in forums that don't have any objective grounding to them. Still, I am not ready to discount what they say they hear, even though I have my doubts about it more often than not. Much of what we deal with in music production is subjective so we have to allow room for that, even though it's a very fine line and a slippery slope.
Again, I am not necessarily advocating expensive cables. My only point really has been to clarify that one shouldn't use an experience with a DVI cable (or any cable in one, specific circumstance) to declare that (all) audio cables by the same brand do not make a difference. I really don't see why this discussion needs to continue.
October 31, 2006 @01:00pm
Andrews928

I'm not sure why your trying to impress anyone with your vocabulary when you use terms like "objective reality" and "tangentially related endeavors" when your having a cable discussion but I'm sure you have your reasons. I will stick with my logic and reasons since they are no more objective than the people who claim there is a difference. You would think that if there is such a difference it sure would be easy to qualify with something objective.(like some actual measurements)
Oh yea, now I feel there is no need to continue this discussion.
October 31, 2006 @07:42pm