0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound - 2 days left

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Chicago Blues box????

Evil Wayz

I thought I had narrowed my tube ampe combo purchase down to the Fender Deville reissue and the Peavey Delta. Then I came across Traynor's 50w custom. Confusion reigned.
And then I stumbled across a guy on the internet selling a Buddy Guy Signature Chicago Blues Box.
I haven't ever heard of this company, but I'm pretty sure Buddy Guy doesn't put his name on crap.
And the sound files sounded pretty sweet.
The specs are here:
http://chicagobluesbox.com/content/newsletter_details.asp?ArticleID=18
Any input on any of these amps would be appreciated, because this is my first tube amp purchase and frankly I don't know what the H*** I am doing.
-Wolf
October 2, 2006 @06:27am
Evil Wayz

I thought I had narrowed my tube ampe combo purchase down to the Fender Deville reissue and the Peavey Delta. Then I came across Traynor's 50w custom. Confusion reigned.
And then I stumbled across a guy on the internet selling a Buddy Guy Signature Chicago Blues Box.
I haven't ever heard of this company, but I'm pretty sure Buddy Guy doesn't put his name on crap.
And the sound files sounded pretty sweet.
The specs are here:
http://chicagobluesbox.com/content/newsletter_details.asp?ArticleID=18
Any input on any of these amps would be appreciated, because this is my first tube amp purchase and frankly I don't know what the H*** I am doing.
-Wolf

You know what? This is so annoying I may well just use a tube preamp, like damage control's liquid blues thru a regular solid state amp. Bah. Too much cool gear, not enough money.
October 3, 2006 @09:02am
gmeister

That Buudy Guy amp might be pretty sweet, kinda sounds like a hotrodded fender bassman. I bet the price is up there. The Fender blues deville reissue is a nice amp especially for the price. The peavey I'm not familliar with.
Best of luck in your conquest.
October 4, 2006 @12:59pm
Audioholic

the Fenders have a really nice creamy sound to them, especially in the clean to semi clean area. I don't think they handle deep distortion well, and it gets muddy. But they have nice punch to them, really nice. Even if you get the damage control pedal, you still want a nice amp to run it through, a good solid state amp would be the roland jc-120, but then its in the same price range of the fender.
October 4, 2006 @04:30pm
Evil Wayz

the Fenders have a really nice creamy sound to them, especially in the clean to semi clean area. I don't think they handle deep distortion well, and it gets muddy. But they have nice punch to them, really nice. Even if you get the damage control pedal, you still want a nice amp to run it through, a good solid state amp would be the roland jc-120, but then its in the same price range of the fender.

My current solid state amp is a Fender 85 deluxe. I have had it since I was 16 ( I'm 31 now) and the pots are wearing out, and I thought I'd like a nice tube amp. I'm wondering if the liquid blues preamp would breathe new life into it...
I'm not really looking for deep distortion, my metal days are behind me.
I'm currently in a BB king/SRV/Muddy Waters phase, so i'm just looking for a good blues sound.
-Wolf
October 5, 2006 @06:53am
gmeister

Well if your looking for a good blues sound, the fender blues deville reissue should do nicely. Get a tube sceamer and your pretty well set.
October 5, 2006 @03:12pm
Audioholic

Damage control makes incredible pedals, some of the best, if not the best out there. I own both the womanizer and demonizer, and no, I am not a metal guy either. They have a remarkable tightness and clarity to them, and I have owned or played with quite a few distortions. I have not had a chance to try out the liquid blues, but I am sure it is stellar as well. the onlyi drawback from thier other pedals is that there is no direct out, which if you wanted it, I woudl tell you to look at the womanizer. i am sure this pedal will really help with your sound. I don't really like fenders solid state amps, their tube amps are much much better.
October 5, 2006 @04:12pm
Evil Wayz

Damage control makes incredible pedals, some of the best, if not the best out there. I own both the womanizer and demonizer, and no, I am not a metal guy either. They have a remarkable tightness and clarity to them, and I have owned or played with quite a few distortions. I have not had a chance to try out the liquid blues, but I am sure it is stellar as well. the onlyi drawback from thier other pedals is that there is no direct out, which if you wanted it, I woudl tell you to look at the womanizer. i am sure this pedal will really help with your sound. I don't really like fenders solid state amps, their tube amps are much much better.

On the no direct output... Reading the manufacturer's website i was led to believe that the demonizer and womanizer were designed to be studio recording ready, so I thought they did have a direct out.
-WOlf
October 5, 2006 @07:44pm
Audioholic

Oh, I am sorry, I meant the liquid blues does not have a direct out. the womanizer and demonizer do. those 2 have both and amp out and separate direct out , so you can choose, a wicked sweet feature. They didn't include that in on the blues pedal, its all for an amp. Which you have to decide is right for you. having the option to go direct really helps me.
October 5, 2006 @09:21pm
Evil Wayz

;)
Oh, I am sorry, I meant the liquid blues does not have a direct out. the womanizer and demonizer do. those 2 have both and amp out and separate direct out , so you can choose, a wicked sweet feature. They didn't include that in on the blues pedal, its all for an amp. Which you have to decide is right for you. having the option to go direct really helps me.

I just listened to the audio clips for the womanizer, and MAN is it sweet. Apparently the big difference is that instead of five knobs it actually has 7, the eq knobs have sliders surrounding them a la old school car stereos. And of course the direct out.
The Womanizer is a hundred bucks more expensive than the liquid blues.... I don't do much recording so I can't think of what i might need direct out for, but like carrying a gun...
better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :)
October 6, 2006 @05:17am
Audioholic

if you can , I would test both of these out. The womanizer sounds fantastic, the blues on is fit for a different purpose. hey, you can watch the videos on thier site and hear clips
www.damagecontrolusa.com
look at teh womanizer and listen to clips from the liquid blues
October 6, 2006 @05:57am
customguitargear

Hello,
Chicago Blues Box does have an official Buddy Guy Signture Model. It is a recreation of Buddy's favorite 59 Bassman.
We sell this amp as well as several others. They really make a nice amp!
The first 50 are signed by Buddy Guy. We have #26 in stock.
If you hve any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your amp search!!
October 6, 2007 @01:00pm
JNagarya

What happened to the Fender Bandmaster?
October 7, 2007 @06:44pm
AWDNV

I was just wondering if you still have the #26 or if you can get any others of the Buddy Guy Signature amps, I know they are discontinued but I badly want one and havent been able to sort one out yet! Let me know thanks again, Jason aka AWDNV
My number is 506-961-7894
Hello,
Chicago Blues Box does have an official Buddy Guy Signture Model. It is a recreation of Buddy's favorite 59 Bassman.
We sell this amp as well as several others. They really make a nice amp!
The first 50 are signed by Buddy Guy. We have #26 in stock.
If you hve any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your amp search!!
October 21, 2012 @03:12am