rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best sounding stage piano

ken980

Hi guys. I am getting ready to buy a stage piano that I can use on the road and at practice. I was looking at the CP33, and several others. If anyone have any suggestions please let me know asap.
Thanks, Ken
September 20, 2006 @07:57am
michaelhoddy

There are a bunch which sound just fine, from Roland, Yamaha, and Kawai. The determining factors really would be more which action you prefer (lighter or heavier), how heavy you can live with the thing being, whether you want built-in speakers or not, and what other sounds or features you're after.
The Yamaha CP33, CP300, P-250, S90ES, the Roland RD-700SX and RD-300SX, and the Kawai MP4 and MP8 are all worthy contenders with varying strengths and weaknesses, but I could live with almost any of them.
September 20, 2006 @02:42pm
shadowcompany

The Yamaha CP33, CP300, P-250, S90ES, the Roland RD-700SX and RD-300SX, and the Kawai MP4 and MP8 are all worthy contenders with varying strengths and weaknesses, but I could live with almost any of them.

I agree and could live with all of them too except for the RD-300SX. Personally I feel its a step below the others. I really think you need to get out there and try as many as possible so you can get what you like best and what's best for you.
September 21, 2006 @03:14am
michaelhoddy

Of the list, I'm probably least fond of the MP4 and the RD300SX, the MP4 for its piano sound, and the RD-300SX for its action, but I could still get decent results from them.
September 21, 2006 @03:18am
ken980

Thanks a lot guys for the info. One other question. What kinda sound set up would I need for a stage piano without speakers. Is it very expensive? Please help.
Thanks, Ken
September 21, 2006 @07:53am
Slovenec

I like both the Yamaha S90ES and Roland RD700X.
However I'd choose the S90ES because it offers IMHO a fair bit more for the money, having great dedicated piano sounds plus being a full blown MotifES synth in the one box.
The RD700X is smaller to lug around. Both have nice keyboard actions.
September 24, 2006 @12:42pm
michaelhoddy

Thanks a lot guys for the info. One other question. What kinda sound set up would I need for a stage piano without speakers. Is it very expensive? Please help.
Thanks, Ken

Depends on how much volume you're after, which, if more than moderate, you'd probably need to augment any built-in speakers in any case.
I use one or two powered Mackie SRM-450's with my RD-700SX. Plenty of volume and great quality, but a good bit extra weight to carry. And they're aroun $650 each if I remember correctly.
Something smaller like the SRM-350 or the JBL Eon10 would be worth consideration as well. The Barbetta keyboard amps are pretty good too.
September 24, 2006 @07:02pm