0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

buying used guitars - pawn shops

bigbigjohnlee

Hey guys I'm new here and fixen' to buy my first guitar ( electric )
Ive looked at new ones online and in person my price range is about 300 to 350 for now my question is how much more Guitar can I get at a pawn shop than new and what kinda things should I look for or look out for when buying used! I like the fender or squier styles over the les paul type and would rather have a style I like than one I dont! any help or advice would be helpfu and greatly appreciated!
John
September 3, 2006 @03:49am
theguitarness

pawn shops can be great deals man, you just have to be careful. I would suggest, if buying something used, going for a brand name, since you really dont know where the guitars have been, or how theyre made; go with something you can trust. I picked up a BRAND NEW looking fender standard made in mexico strat, still had the sticker on it, for 210. put some noiseless pickups in it, it sounded like an American Strat. Just try out the guitar you think you like in different amps, to determine if any buzz or noise is from teh amp or guitar. Also, dont be afraid to bargain, youre not gonna hurt anyone's feelings telling them that you dont want to pay that much for it. good luck
September 6, 2006 @01:20am
Audioholic

Pawn shops will usualy mark up the guitar ridiculously, where a cheap 150 guitar is selling for 200-300 bucks, definetally finagle with them. still, i think you might want to consider an ibanez for that price, a new one. might be better then getting a guitar you don't know nothin about.
September 6, 2006 @02:10am
bigbigjohnlee

Thanks for the replies yall! I was curious about the kinda deals you can find at the pawn shops. I found a Peavy T-40 marked at 199.00 I got em down to 175.00 its in real good shape no dents or scratches and I found a fender rumble 60 for 125.00 at another shop! I guess im gonna getem unless I find something else that catches my eye before then! I guess those are pretty reasonable prices?
john
September 9, 2006 @02:11am
johntheguitarist

good luck with ur playin'!!
September 18, 2006 @04:04am
thisperfectworld

Dude,
Before you buy any guitar, find a friend or a guitar teacher that you trust completely, and who's playing and guitar knowledge you respect. Have them play any guitar you are interested in first, so they can make sure it's all OK. There are A LOT of horridly set-up guitars out there, and there will be a few that are set-up well off of the shelf.
Whether the guitar is dinged up or not should not be an issue; I'd go so far as to say that a pristine guitar is a bit of a burden. When you first get that inevitable dent, scratch or ding, it's a heartbreaker! The nice thing about used guitars is that you not only save cash, but you also avoid that process!!
Even if you have to pay some guy $20 to spend the day scoping out guitars with you, the feedback of an experienced guitarist will be well worth it. Guitarists are notoriously eager to check out stores or used guitars offered in the newspaper or online. They often also could use a little cash! (Just don't bring along a guitarist friend who's also looking for a new guitar; make it clear you're shopping for YOU, not for him/her!)
I'd advise you not to buy in to the brand-name issue at all either; a brand you've never heard of can be just as good, if not better, than many guitars! You should easily be able to find something great for a beginner, especially in the strat style, for under $200.
Best of luck!
-Josh
January 14, 2007 @01:36am
piad

I agree with some of the responses that have been listed, in fact I told my wife that I wanted a new Fender. After owning 4 other guitars she said ok one more to your collection and thats it, well she gave me 2K and said no more then that. So I looked for 8 months trying the pawn shops and new guitar shops I just couldn't find one that here's a term you don't have in your language as if yet ( FIT ) none of them felt good in my hand that's something you need to look at also !!! if she doesn't fit she won't ever play right for you. Your guitar has to feel right in YOUR HAND not someone elses yes they can play it, for you and give you their opinion as to how she sounds and her action, but if SHE DOESN'T fit and feel right in YOUR HAND then she isn't right for you. So my suggestion to you is make sure she feels right on your shoulder, and that she fits and feels like she belongs there in your hand. I again looked for 8 months at so many fenders that my wife, was getting upset so while we were in yet another Guitar store she picked up a PRO CUSTOM by CORT another strat knockoff, and said what about this one and as soon as I held her she FIT and felt right on my shoulder so I bought her and she was only $247.00 so it doesn't matter how much your new girl friend cost but how she FIT'S and feels in YOUR HANDS.
Good luck in your hunt for that Fit.
Piad ( pain in the ass Dog)
January 18, 2007 @08:43pm
mattsmusicstudio

Pawn shops will usualy mark up the guitar ridiculously, where a cheap 150 guitar is selling for 200-300 bucks, definetally finagle with them. still, i think you might want to consider an ibanez for that price, a new one. might be better then getting a guitar you don't know nothin about.

I got a guitar for $100 that usually costs $200+
January 22, 2007 @03:10am