0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale! Ends Today

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Effects Processor for Vocals and Flute

lestermatthew

I'm looking for a multi effect processor for vocal and flute. Is there such an animal? something like the processor used for the guitar except you get those effect through the mike for vocal and flute. I bought a multi effect processor for the guitar, the owner assured me that you can , with the right connection you can achieve the same effect through the mike. So far I've had no success. (I think I was taken .) I sure would appreciate some help .
thanks.......
August 30, 2006 @08:08pm
mikelava

Are you using a dynamic mic? What type of connector does the cable have, 1/4" or XLR? Are you running the mic through a mixer of some sort?
August 31, 2006 @04:32am
DAS

Most effects processors have line level inputs (XLR, TRS, or TS). You can't plug a mic or instrument directly into any of these. Ones made for guitar can usually handle a guitar plugged directly in, and in those cases you can sometimes use a dynamic microphone terminated to a TS cable to go directly in. Results usually won't be as good as if you use a separate mic preamp (even a cheap one). If you have a high impedance microphone (usually only available at places like Radio Shack, and not great quality) then you can plug directly into a guitar processor with acceptable results.
There are a few processors designed to have a professional, low impedance mic plugged directly into them. For instance...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VoiceLive
Unless you find an effects box you like that can accept a mic plugged directly into it you'll get the best results with a good mic, a decent mic preamp, and then run that signal into your favoriate effects processor.
Let us know if any of this doesn't make sense.
August 31, 2006 @11:58am