0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Nothing New

lildave

This is the same old question as I've read here before but I'm going to ask anyway. My budget is $300 tops. That can also include used models here. I really need to upgrade my monitors because I'm still using Roland MA/8's in my studio and a 10" Cerwin Vega Subwoofer. The space I'm using for my studio is not perfectly square like a typical bed room. I have three walls and a hall way. My usable space is only about 6ft by 7ft with two walls full of windows and a door leading outside. There's wood panels on the wall and no acoustic treatment at all. I have only one power outlet which I don't like because it's not grounded. It's an old house. 1920's? old house. I really need some more monitors but my budget is very tight and want the most accurate monitors I can afford. I don't use my PC for music . I use my Alesis Fusion for that. I'd like to have my studio set up to where less is more so to speak since I have so little space and I hate using computers for music anyway. I know many people aren't going to agree with me but I'll just say this anyway. PC+MY MUSIC=0. It's not going to happen. I play gospel but of MANY styles. I make holy hip hop and contemporary gospel the most but I can't really put my style of music in a box because southern, traditional, middle eastern, asian sounding gospel can and does come out of me at times. Thanks in advance for the feedback. God bless.
August 24, 2006 @07:19pm
lildave

Come on people, don't be shy. I'm window shopping around like crazy but there way too many monitors out there. Will someone please leave me some feedback to my question?
September 24, 2006 @11:00pm
Audioholic

With that budget, I would look into the KRK rockit series, or Fostex has put out a decent monitor in that price range.
other then that for used, I found this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mackie-HR624-studio-monitor_W0QQitemZ260032706797QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47093QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (not sure if he is selliing just one???)
September 24, 2006 @11:28pm
fLiPaudio

event tr-5...$299
September 25, 2006 @03:40am
web01169

take that $300 save and add another $200 and get what you really want...if you have monitors now, they will be fine. just cause you have $300 doesnt mean you have to spend it, put it away and save for new equipment.
September 25, 2006 @03:38pm
lildave

Okay, so what if my budget was $500? What would you recommend then?
October 23, 2006 @04:43pm
edcampos

If I was in your situation I would put the $300 toward acoustic treatment. I didn't start buying gear (good pre amps, mics, etc) until I have a somewhat decent sounding room. Keep in mind you don't have to tear down walls for this. Some Auralex (or other brand) foam sheets and some diffusors will make a huge different. If your room in a square then standing bass waves are probably an issue. I know it doesn't seem to excited to go to the store and spend $300 and then come home with boxes full of foam, but once you put enough treatment into your room you'll start to hear your monitors sound a lot better. If you REALLY want to buy monitors, my advice would be this: make sure you get a pair of monitors with at least 6" speakers. Anything smaller than that will not be very accurate. Good luck!
October 24, 2006 @03:00am
SlyMonkey

"Okay, so what if my budget was $500? What would you recommend then?"
Event TR8-N. I love 'em! My mixes translate so much better since I bought them. The room you put them in will really affect your mix as well, but I have had great results using the TR8-Ns. I switched to them after working with Alesis Monitor 1s for several months and getting completely annoyed at how off the bass was mixed. I went with a friend of mine to try out some other monitors recently and listened to the KRK rp-8 and didn't like them at all. In a side-by-side comparison, he chose the Event TR8-N also.
October 24, 2006 @12:52pm
Smithcok

The M-Audio B series (or whatever the proper series name is) monitors have been fairly distinguished by many for project studios.
For 300$, get the BX5a, and for 500$, get the BX8a.
They are both good, I have a pair of the BX5a. To compare them to other inexpensive monitors, I have A/Bed them with Samson Resolv 50a, Event ALP5, and the Rokits. The low end response on the M-Audios is much punchier without giving the boominess (the events are boomy). High end doesnt seem as exaggerated as other low price monitors.
Lots of magazines have done articles on budget speakers (EMusician had a great article maybe a year ago?) and the M-Audios ranked very high.
October 24, 2006 @01:34pm