0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

best electric drum kit out there?

newness_of_life

what do you think? what is the best electric drum kit - keep in mind not just features, but price point, manufacturer support, cool sounds, etc etc.
March 6, 2002 @10:13pm
cuzinit

You pose a very difficult decision to make about the electronic drums. Being the proud owner of a Roland VDrum set, I've grown to love the triggers and some of the sounds that Roland has to offer. However, if you are looking for some incredible -sounds- in general, the ddrum brains are really hard to beat as they incorporate sample based technology that even allows you to download new sounds into the brain itself. This realistic sound quality really blows all of the others out of the water but there triggers are about as heavy as carrying around a regular acoustic drumset. Where's the weight advantage in that?
If anyone has any questions on any of these drumsets as well, or would just like my overall opinion of the kits or sounds themselves, please let me know as I've had some experience with just about all of these brains listed on this poll. My vote is going to have to be for the Roland's though. The triggers man, it's all about those triggers.....
March 8, 2002 @11:34pm
newness_of_life

good points, cuzinit... I didn't even think about the trigger aspect of the e-drums. Wow. Maybe I should add that to the original post.
March 9, 2002 @02:16am
shaneperc

At the church I play at, they just bought a set of Yamaha DTExtremes (I think that's what they're called) Now, this is coming from someone who HATES playing electronic drums instead of acoustic, but I do like the Yamahas for what they're worth. From what I've been able to test out at the stores, I like the Rolands a little better, but the improvement is not worth the money. The big complaint I have about the sounds on the Yamaha is that they're all too natural sounding!! As long as I'm playing electronic drums anyways, I wanted to use some of those funky, 80s analog sounds, but almost the entire library on the Yamaha is sampled acoustic drums. (It is cool that they sample their own acoustic kits for the samples, though.) I just need more Star Wars battlescene sound effects.
April 19, 2002 @05:20am
Ted

I think that Roland has the best all-around kits...I really like the sound and feel of the little V Club set. I actually like the feel of those cheaper cymbals more than the higher-end ones. But as far as programmability is concerned, the TD10 brain takes the cake. Easy, too.
However, I have to agree with Cuzinit that the ddrums have some cool features as well. Being able to download sounds is nice, and I think they have the best-feeling cymbals out there. They're actually made of cast metal. Of course, they're not nearly as quiet as the Roland pads, but they feel great...
There's lots of good stuff out there.
-Ted
November 5, 2002 @05:14pm
baksis

i have V-drums and i just love them because of their good response on the meshes and the fastest triggering out there. the souds are ok for most of the applications but the module lacks good electronic sounds and cymbals aren't so good either. but i do my own samples on a sampler and just trigger them through the V's and that really rocks- beats the shit out of ddrums too since the ddrums can only handle 10 pads at a time, V's can hanle 12 plus som extra can be added if you use all the rim triggers. and it's fast.
November 19, 2002 @12:16pm
Chris Jude

I have tested just about all of them and have owned (or own) many systems right now including a largely expanded Roland V-Session kit.
As far as modules, I don't really like any. The sound is poor compared with what is possible today. However, using a sampler is frought with technical problems that modules address for you (live velocity crossfades/multisamples, making the hi-hat function as it should, positional sensing, multiple zones per pad, etc.) For these reasons I use a combination of things. First choice is great samples via hardware or sofware sampler. But I also use a Roland TD-10 with TDW-1 expansion card, a ddrum3, a ddrum4SE and various other goodies. (Even with a sampler, a pad-to-MIDI interface is still needed), so rather than use all soundless ones, I use the modules for that and sometimes use some of the sounds cause they are so easy to load and go. I especially use the modules for trying out all kinds of various sound really quickly to find what will work when composing (once I get close I can look for the best quality later).
For drums, the Roland V-Session drums and V-cymbals represent the best that Roland offers and are better than just about anything except for the Hart Pro Series stuff.
The Hart Pro pads are the best feeling playing mesh pads there are (IMNSHO). I have tested every woven head I am aware of (including a few that never made it to market, and the Hart 2ply heads trump them all but are just part of it. If anyone is interested in more info on the subject, visit my site (go to my profile), or drop me a line.
November 19, 2002 @06:35pm
Ted

Chris-
Thanks for joining our forum. I checked out your website...pretty impressive. I also have a daughter named Emma.
Thanks for your contributions!
-Ted
November 19, 2002 @09:06pm
Chris Jude

Wow, I just joined and posted a little earlier.
Thanks and thanks for the welcome.
November 19, 2002 @09:58pm
Ted

No problem...it's nice to have someone here who's has as much of a chance at hands-on for this stuff as you have. I get the chance to try it out here, but not to the extent you have as an owner. I do have a Simmons set fromt he '80's (my first kit actually)...it's amazing how far things have come since then.
-Ted
November 19, 2002 @10:03pm
Chris Jude

The Simmons SDX system is still one of the most sophisticated (ahead of its time) drum modules ever built. I'm going to try to update my site next week with a pic or two of my new (electronic) drum rig and some more particulars (the site is pretty new not much content yet but working on it).
I'll definitely be dropping by.
November 20, 2002 @03:11am
Chris Jude

There are pictures of my Session kit on my site, but here are some pics I just snapped of my new electronic drum rig. Its not finished yet but almost.

December 6, 2002 @04:08pm