0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Roland VS2000cd or Korg d3200 or?

pmsmusicguy

Hey,
Thanks for reading this thread. Here's my questions:
I am an experienced recording pianist/keyboardist. I've been involved in many recordings involving multitracking, but have always had a sound engineer to record my music. Well, I'm tired of paying a professional sound engineer to record and mix the music. So... I want to take the plunge and be my own sound engineer. I'm quite sure I would prefer the hardward style DAW as opposed to the computer-based, software DAW method.
I totally expect to have to endure a huge learning curve to master the machine and learn how to get a beautifully mixed CD. But, and here is my question to you all: I would imagine some machines are more user-friendly than others, thus decreasing the length of time needed for mastery. I know they all do basically the SAME thing, but have the buttons, knobs, and sliders organized in slightly different schemes.
I do need the capability to record at least 8 tracks simultaneously.
I have read some forum threads comparing the Roland VS2000cd and the Korg d32000. Even others claiming that the simple Tascam 2488 is a great starting machine, being a good "first" DAW.
Well? Any thoughts out there?
Thanks again.
Pmsmusicguy
August 3, 2006 @02:49am
Leesong

You might want to check out the Boss BR-1600CD.
August 3, 2006 @12:28pm
pmsmusicguy

To the honest, the Tascam seems more simplistic and basic than either the Roland or the Korg. But... and here's the thing... I like what I see in the user manual (just what owners have said) and the Tascam2488 userforum seems very helpful. I hear that the Tascam tech support is great. Well- it may not be the machine that either the Roland and Korg is, but maybe I'd get into actual recording faster?? Ugh... decisions. What do you all think out there? Am I selling myself short by saying the Korg and Roland are too complicated?Thanks for your replies.
Rick
August 3, 2006 @04:12pm
Byll

I obviously don't know the parameters of your recording needs, except the necessity to record 8 tracks at a time. If you need mics on those 8 tracks, please ensure that there are 8 mic pre-amps on board, or you will be spending extra money for that capability.
Years ago, I went with Yamaha stand-alone products. They are still in use, today. I have never doubted my decision.
Best to you.
Byll
August 3, 2006 @04:50pm
pmsmusicguy

Thanks, Byll.
Yes, I will definitely need preamps for my mic inputs. The DAW I will buy will need to have individual preamps for the mic inputs.
August 3, 2006 @05:01pm
Byll

Check out Yamaha AW1600...
Best to you.
Byll
August 3, 2006 @08:35pm
Slovenec

For $1,999US, the Yamaha AW2400 is a fantastic 24 track machine!!!!
It may be a bit more than what you need but believe me, the extra tracks and features will come in handy when you least expect them!
The Korg D3200 at $1,299US is a great bargain. I'm not sure how much the Roland VS2000CD is (check out the Sweetwater price!) but all these units are great recorders.
The Boss BR1600CD and Yamaha AW1600 are IMHO not true 16 track recorders- instead employing '8 mono' and '4 stereo' tracks (behaving more like a 12 track recorder).
However if you don't need more than 8 tracks or don't require 16 or more 'mono' channels, they are also great units.
Have you also looked at the Zoom recorders?
Personally, I'd have a serious look at the AW2400. It's a true 24 tracks recorder with the same powerful effects, eqs and dynamics as found in Yamaha Digital mixers.
However, I must say that out of the Yamaha, Korg and Roland, the Korg D3200 gives you the most 'bang for the buck' with up to 32 tracks playback and a great user interface and fx. My biggest gripe with it is that it doesn't have dedicated dynamics processing like the Roland and Yamaha recorders. Oh well, mabey in the next model????:).
August 4, 2006 @07:03am
pmsmusicguy

Thanks Slovenec, for your reply.
I have looked at the Yamaha 24 track and it will certainly more than meet my needs- but... it's more than my budget can afford.
Here are my questions to you. (And I'm asking you because I have read your previous posts about DAWS and I can tell you know the machines.)
1. When I purchase my DAW, either the Roland vs2000cd, the Korg D3200, the Tascam 2488, or Yamaha ??, I don't want to be required to spend 2 hours turning 200 knobs and setting 150 parameters to put down some tracks. I guess I need it basic, but quality, and user friendly and ergonomically appealing (logical, well laid out on the board)
2. Since much of my recording projects will include a lead vocal, I will need some high quality vocal effects- like pitch tune, doubling, chorus, limiters, any modifications that can make the vocal really stand out. Some of these DAWs have some of these effects, while others will require some additional outboard gear. What are your recommendations?
Thanks for your thoughts
August 4, 2006 @03:50pm
Slovenec

Hi there! Yeah I am quite up with what's out there in the world of music technology and recording. I'd love to work in a music shop but unfortunately, it's not WHAT you know but WHO you know to get a job (well, here in Australia anyway!).
Anyway back to the subject-
The Korg D3200 IMHO is the most straightforward machine to get to grips with. Like Korg synths and workstations, their digital recorders also have an excellent GUI and those knobs under the LCD display really make the unit quite easy to get around (almost to the point of feeling like some kind of analog machine!!).
Whilst I felt the older VS recorders were quite complicated to get around, the VS2000CD looks like it's GUI has improved (and buying the optional VGA card allows you to hook up any computer monitor for the absolute best GUI of any hardware HD recorder!!).
Because I have used a Yamaha O3D digital mixer for the last 8 years, I feel comfortable getting around the Yamaha HD recorders as their GUI is very similar IMHO.
If you are short of cash and don't care about hooking up a monitor, the D3200 is IMHO the best for getting into using the machine quickly. If you have a bit more cash to spend, the VS2000CD will also be ok and perhaps later you can take the plunge and get the VGA card and a computer monitor.
Now regarding vocal fx- both the Roland and Yamaha have dedicated vocal fx built in for pitch correction and vocal harmonies etc. The Korg doesn't have a dedicated pitch corrector. However I strongly advise you DO NOT buy a machine because these effects aren't present. My strong advice is to get your vocal takes nailed in the 1st place rather than relying on these new fangled vocal fx to 'fix' your mistakes and pitching problems. Whilst the vocal fx are great to use in an emergency, you should NOT rely on them!
Bear in mind that with all the above units, you will do yourself a big musical favour by purchasing a dedicated mic pre/channel strip that gives superior quality to the mic pres already built into the above units- thats not to say that the mic pres in these units sound bad!!!!
Honestly, go for the Korg if your budget is really tight and you want a straight forward GUI.
Go for the Roland if you MUST have the vocal fx and the option of the computer monitor. Also, remember you can add different plug in effects through the VSF3 cards although we are talking about more money here also!!!!
Go for the Yamaha AW1600 or Boss BR1600 if you don't need more than 8-12 'monophonic' recording tracks. Both of these units also have pitch correction.
My advise is to go a a shop where you can see all the units side by side and then spend time with each unit, going through allthe menus etc. You'll know very quickly which recorder will be for you.
Personally, I know for myself that I'd go for a Yamaha AW2400 but of course that is more than what you need or what you can afford at the moment.
I can see you being very happy with any of the above units but some funny feeling within me thinks that you'll choose the Korg for it's logical GUI and the fact that it's the only unit allowing 32 track playback!
Good luck and just post if you have any more question!:).
August 5, 2006 @12:52am
pmsmusicguy

Thanks, Slovenec, for your detailed reply, and for taking the time for my questions!
So... you're an Aussie! I perform with and will be recording a small group of Aussies from the Brisbane area. They're great! So fun and a bit, what shall I say, out of the box. They just don't seem to care what others think, and it's very refreshing to see that here in the US.
I'm going to a music store and play with the machines a bit.
Any thoughts on studio (probably near-field, powered) monitors? Again, my budget is definitely a consideration.
Thanks,
Rick
August 5, 2006 @08:33pm
Slovenec

Hi Rick!
There are heaps of options for nearfields!!!!!!!!! Just like there are heaps of options for cheap decent condenser mics these days! :).
Honestly, for 'budget' nearfields, check out the Behringer B series monitors. Honestly, I listened to these thinking the worst but IMHO, they compared very very nicely with monitors costing 3-4 times as much!!!!!!!! I am seriously looking at a pair of these as a future purchase.
Otherwise, I really like the KRK Rockit series. They are very nice sounding for the price and they are available in 3 sizes.
You can also check out the Yamaha HS80''s and Alesis M 1 actives.
I use an old pair of Alesis Monitor 2's with a Samson Servo 500 power amp and I'm extremely happy with them, although i think the power amp needs a service as it seems to heat up a tad too quickly now, meaning I have to give it a rest! :(
What is your budget?
Honestly for the cheap price, I'm very impressed with the Beringers, just like I think their mics are decent for the price. However, spending more will of course give you better results.
IMHO, the Behringers will match nicely with the Korg or Roland recorder:).
August 6, 2006 @07:23am
Slovenec

Brisbane is a lovely city! It's the right mixture between being a bigger city and a larger country town- meaning, it's not a concrete jungle like other cities around the world!
I'm actually from down south in Melbourne- 1,800km away.
August 6, 2006 @07:24am
pmsmusicguy

Thanks Slovenec, again, for your ideas. I'm going to a store tonight or tomorrow to listen and hopefully play a bit. My ear will be my guide...
Rick
August 7, 2006 @06:47pm
Slovenec

Hi there! YES let your ears be the judge. After your room acoustics, the mointors and mics you use are very important.
If you find that other monitors sound 'better' and it's going to cost a couple of hundred bucks more, it's worth spending the extra!
Good luck! :).
August 8, 2006 @01:06am
traveler

This was a decision I had to make back last October. I went out and worked with every unit I could get my hands on. I tried the Tascam 2488, Yamaha and the Roland 2000 as well as the Korg D3200, which had just been released. I rather quickly came to the conclusion that not only did the Korg sound the best of the lot (rather analog like) but afforded the best on board effects and overall usability. The manual was superb to say the least, and easy to follow along. After having it now close to the year, and I've finished a half dozen projects, I must say I believe I made the right decision. It has excellent on board preamps, but I ended up getting several outboard units to use with it ( a TC-Helicon VoiceWorks and ART TPS-II). With some nice quiet mics this unit is indeed a powerhouse with few limitations. For it's current asking price IMHO you'd have to spend over $3k to beat it, and even then it wouldn't be by much.
September 24, 2006 @02:44pm