0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Recommendatoins for Pro Tools computer?

stuie@sbcglobal.net

Anybody have recommendations for a Creation Station system that will be hooked up to Pro Tools 7 on an 002 Rack?
Wondering who has had great luck buying a system from Sweetwater using Pro Tools, and what config seemed to work best...
Thanks...
Stuie
August 1, 2006 @08:33pm
Justin

All of our current systems are compatible and optimized to run ProTools LE, so you don't have to worry there.
You'll just have to decide based on price, form factor, and performance.
You may want to call your Sweetwater sales engineer and see if they can help recommend one for you based on how you plan to work, what types of plugins you'll be using, and such.
August 2, 2006 @01:56pm
dpd

Go dual-core on PT 7 if you are going to be doing large projects. Benchmark tests show that PT 7 eats single-core machines for lunch. I can confirm that (CS Rack Single here) .
August 4, 2006 @02:29am
Justin

DPD, do you have hyperthreading enabled on your CSRack?
I think the earliest models shipped with it turned off in BIOS because back then PTLE didn't support it.
I figure you probably have already done it, but if you haven't already, I'd turn Hyperthreading on...it does help with both PTLE v7 and GigaStudio as they're multithreaded apps now.
All Creation Stations built since about this time last year ship with either HT enabled on single cores, or a Pentium D CPU on the Dual Core models.
August 4, 2006 @01:08pm
dpd

Hi Justin
Yeah, I do have HT enabled. The word I'm getting from some guys over at the DUC indicate that PT7 LE was pretty much designed for dual core processors. I guess we ought to talk about what motherboard you use in the CS Rack dual core - PWD5 or something like that?
However, I just did a 9 track 24/96 recording last Sunday at the station and the home system is playing it back fine; however, I haven't yet started adding any plugins yet. I'll know more over the weekend as I start to mix the session.
August 5, 2006 @02:01am
Kurdt

I run a CS Pro with HT enabled and 2 gigs of RAM on PT 7 with a 002 and C|8. The CS Pro runs like a dream. I am able to max out my tracks and use a decent amount of plug-ins easily. However, resource hungry plugs like Guitar Rig-2 will drain most systems pretty easily, especially at higher sample rates. I often work in the 24-bit 44.1k or 48k if doing post work, comfortably.
August 15, 2006 @09:24pm
dpd

I run a CS Pro with HT enabled and 2 gigs of RAM on PT 7 with a 002 and C|8. The CS Pro runs like a dream. I am able to max out my tracks and use a decent amount of plug-ins easily. However, resource hungry plugs like Guitar Rig-2 will drain most systems pretty easily, especially at higher sample rates. I often work in the 24-bit 44.1k or 48k if doing post work, comfortably.

I just did a 24/96 session with 9 tracks that I'm mixing now. No problems with regular plugs (EQ, Comp, etc) on nearly every track, but when I add ONE IR-L (even the efficient mode) the CPU meter jumps up to 50%. I really think I need to upgrade to dual-core.
August 16, 2006 @01:55am
Kurdt

I really think I need to upgrade to dual-core.

Or even a Quad...
August 16, 2006 @02:27am
dpd

Ever checked out the Allenstein 'Quadzilla' machine over at the Digidesign User Conference? Unreal performance!
So far, my CS Rack handles all I have thrown at it, but the dual-core would be a nice upgrade.
August 17, 2006 @03:43am
Kurdt

Ever checked out the Allenstein 'Quadzilla' machine over at the Digidesign User Conference?

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I replied. Or even the new Mac Pro...
August 17, 2006 @02:29pm
tmoore

The 3Ghz Mac Pro is going to be my next purchase in a few weeks.
August 18, 2006 @02:14am
Tarktones

I recommend 2-3 GB of RAM for your Mac Pro. Make sure to keep up on the cs updates and revisions for Pro Tools (so save your 002 documentation).
Also, I recommend checking out Black Lion Audio for your 002. You will thank yourself.
August 18, 2006 @03:38am
dpd

I recommend 2-3 GB of RAM for your Mac Pro. Make sure to keep up on the cs updates and revisions for Pro Tools (so save your 002 documentation).
Also, I recommend checking out Black Lion Audio for your 002. You will thank yourself.

Have you had the Black Lion mod done to your 002R? What's your experience been? I've been looking at that for a while, although most of what I do is mix so I added a Benchmark DAC-1 for 2 channel output monitoring.
August 19, 2006 @02:20pm
robertallen

One of my suggestions if you are hooking this computer up to the net, and you need an A/V program is to make sure you don't run Norton or McAfee. Those are complete PC resource drainers. I use NOD32 by eset, which is nice and I've had no problems running NOD32 in the background with ProTools.
I've had my CS Rack for almost 2 years now and love it. One of the hard drives went bad and I drove the computer to Sweetwater in Ft. Wayne and they replaced it. Other than that, it has run beautifully.
November 29, 2006 @02:36am
dpd

My CS Rack has never seen the Internet and won't. I don't recommend that anyone's DAW PC touch the internet especially if one uses host-based applications (e.g. ProTools LE)
November 29, 2006 @03:31am