0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

revitalizing old advent towers

burnside24

Hey all.
I know this may be a long shot, but I have an old pair of advent prodigy towers and the woofers in both appear to have separated from the voice coils. I can only get sound if I put pressure on the center of the paper cone and make contact. The foam surrounds are about gone as well. As they no longer make these speakers, I was wondering if I can just replace the woofers with different 8" model or if there's a specific spec I should be wary of - I can't seem to find the original specs for these speakers anywhere so I was planning to stick within the dimesions of the box and go from there with a different set of woofers. Would that work with stock advent crossovers and tweeters? Thanks for you help!
- Burnside
July 10, 2006 @07:14pm
Cory Cooper

As in these:

Try here:
Layne Audio - Advent OEM Replacement Parts
C
July 13, 2006 @06:02am
Timberwoof

I just bought a pair like those for $30; they have the same problem. On eBay there's a guy who sells foam surround replacement kits for ~$20. Just search on Advent Woofer. :)
Now what I'm looking for is a pair of tweeters. Somebody must have played the speakers really loud with an underpowered amplifier and blown them out. :(
August 5, 2006 @11:57pm
Timberwoof

I just bought a pair like those for $30; they have the same problem. On eBay there's a guy who sells foam surround replacement kits for ~$20. Just search on Advent Woofer. :) If you want to put new woofers in there, any 8" woofer will work; it's a matter of finding ones with similar acoustic properties. A search in Google will find a few places that have them. If you have Golden Ears™ then only the originals will satisfy you. Otherwise, the spendy 8" speakers from Radio Shack will work.
Now what I'm looking for is a pair of tweeters. Somebody must have played the speakers I got really loud with an underpowered amplifier and blown them out. :(
August 6, 2006 @12:00am