0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 5

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Korg TR76 or Yamaha MO6?

aby.abraham

Hello All,
I am very new to this forum. I am an intermediate level keyboard enthusiast and plan to buy an affordable but powerful workstation, majorly for use at home, and occationally outside or at church for live performance.
My options are TR76 and MO6. TR76 was my first choice. But, in some other forums, users have written that mo6 beats TR! But in some other forums, it is written that TR sounds beat even Triton extreme!
From the specs of mo6, it is clear that it has a bigger ROM, bigger set of arpeggio patterns etc. It comes with the complete motif es sound set of 175MB. But for TR, the ROM is 64MB, which contains Triton sound set + new sounds.
How is the sound quality of TR compared to MO6? what about pianos, strings and pads? what about the effects section? What about the ease of use? how about arpeggios? Does the difference in the ROM and arpeggio numbers really make MO6 better than TR? What about the room for creativity? That's very important. (Did I miss any other important factors to be considered? If yes, please offer suggestion on those topics also.)
So, in you opinion, who is the final winner? TR or MO?
Please help me make a choice...
Thanks in advance.
July 8, 2006 @10:32am
supermanrulez

Ok first off get what you want and works best for you. All I am going to do is give you a quick opinion. In all honesty you should spend time with both of them and answer the questions for yourself.
Let me state that the TR does not sound better than the extreme. Those guys whi told you this are on crack or have a TR and want to make themselves feel better. While some of the sounds are similiar, the extreme is much more than the TR. If you play both and look at the differences you will figure that one quickly on your own. Its as close to a no brainer as you can get.
If the decision was mine, I would get the MO 8 hands down looking at it strictly from a sounds pount of view. The sounds, especially piano and accoustic sounds are much more useable and superior on the MO 6. I've played the TR and Mo series extensively and that is the one conclusive thing I came away with. Good luck.
July 9, 2006 @03:14am
KORG TRITON

I haven't played the TR or the MO. But I have played the Motif ES8 and the Korg Triton Classic. In my opinion the Triton is more inspiring. They are both good keyboards. If I got a new keyboard I would get a MO because I have a Triton, If I didn't have a Triton I would get a TR.
July 10, 2006 @02:40pm
shadowcompany

Having played both the TR and Mo, I would get the Mo without a doubt. When you browse through the combination sounds both sound good. When you get into the presets, (the raw sound samples), this is where the you can really see how much better the Mo sounds as opposed to the TR. SInce like most people, I use the presets to create my own sounds and alter sounds for recording purposes, the Mo makes a big difference here. I have to agree with superman's post above that the TR piano sound is not that good. I also believe the accoustic sound samples are far superior on the Mo as well. I also got a real good laugh as I can't believe people told you the TR sounds better than the extreme. What a joke!
If you play both, go beyond the standard combination sound on both and listen to the preset samples, this is where you will hear the difference between the MO and TR.
July 10, 2006 @03:11pm
Slovenec

Some good points made above! Here is my slant on things!
Lets get down to specs! The TR has 2 polyphonic arpreggiators whereas the MO only has one polyphonic arpeggiator. Even the Yamaha techs here in Australia I spoke with who were bagging the Triton bigtime admitted that this is an area where the Triton is better. Yes the MO does have heaps more preset arpeggio patters though!
Both have an internal 16 track sequencer. IMHO the TR's is MUCH easier to use than the MO's. I've tried to use the Yamaha sequencer without opening the manual and I gave up due to the frustration. I played around with the TR sequencer and it's way more logical to get ideas down fast IMHO- even without a big touchscreen!
The Triton can have an optional sampling board installed which gives it the same sampling spec as the older Triton Classic (which I own and love!). This means that the sampler is a bit dated and does not do resampling or in track sampling etc, but at least it's a sampler you can add on without having to pay extra for a sampler you may not use. The MO has NO sampling facilities whatsoever!
Keyboard- Both the MO and TR come in 88 key weighted action varieties as well as 61 notes. Only the TR has a 76 note option. The TR also has aftertouch sensitivity which may be a big deal for some and no big deal for others. For me personally I think aftertouch is a big deal and you can be alot more expressive in many ways with this kind of control. After playing both a TR61 and MO6 side by side, I came away feeling that the MO keyboard was very plasitcky and felt like grandmas old organ. The TR's felt better IMHO. Both 88 note weighted keyboards were acceptable though although not as good as the higher speced digital pianos like the RD700SX or S90ES etc etc.
FX- IMHO the MO offers alot more with up to 3 double insert fx at once in sequencer mode as well as 2 master fx and separate eq for each multi timbral part. The TR offers only 1 single stereo insert fx and 2 master fx in sequencer mode and no separate eqs on each part. I also think that the MO's fx sound better, particularly the distortions, guitar amp sims and reverts. Saying that, the TR's effects are still very good!
SOUNDS- I agree with some of the above posts that the MO overall has better acoustic instrument programs! The quitars, basses, acoustic and acoustic pianos are IMHO better than the TR offerings.
However I personally prefer the TR for overall synth sounds, pads, leads and basses. I also think that the TR has a wider variety of electronic drums sounds than the MO.
Both instruments overall have great acoustic drum programs. The TR contains some new acoustic kits not even available in the Triton Extremes sample set!!!!!!!!
Solo and ensemble brass programs never thrill me on any synth (except perhaps my Korg Z1!!!!) so I'd say that both are about on par with each other. Both are also good for ensemble strings (although I personally prefer the Korg TR offerings overall). Yamaha strings have always been a bit too 'synth' sounding for my taste. IMHO choir sounds are BETTER in the TR than the MO.
COMBINATION MODE- both instruments have this kind of mode but the TR is way more flexible offering up to 8 programs per combi whereas the MO offers only up to 5 voices per performance and these can only be on the same midi channel! However the MO strikes back with a separate mode where you can set up anything you want as a master set up and easily select it for performance! You can also set up the MO to control your chosen computer sequencer but I'm not sure how well this works in real life.
REAL TIME CONTROLS- The MO wins out with 4 knobs and 4 sliders. The TR has 4 knobs and no sliders.
GUI- IMHO the TR is easier to get around. However I come from an externsive Korg background going right back to the T3! I also prefer the TR's LCD to the dark green MO LCD. The TR contains 4 separate outputs whereas the MO continas only a stereo pair of outputs.
OVERALL- You CANNOT go wrong with either board IMHO! I also own a Triton Classic so I'd also spring on a MO for different sounds. Give both boards a good play in your local music shop.
ALSO- check out the Roland Juno G and Fantom Xa. These are 2 really great sounding synthes which give a Roland slant to the budget workstation market! Good Luck! :)
July 14, 2006 @08:13am
aby.abraham

Thanks a lot Solvenec, for your detailed comparison based on feature by feature. And, all of you are right, I need to play both the keyboards and see the difference myself... But, your replies helped me to get a very good start, and an an idea of where to look for the differences.
I also felt that Korg's interface is much more user friendly. But, from a pure sounds perspective, MO offers much more. You are right, both keyboards are very good ones. That's why there is so much of confusion on which one to choose :-)
In my opinion, what is most important is the sound production and performance capability. Isn't it so?
btw, Fantom keyboards are not widely used, are they? Is it because they are very new, or because of inferior sonic capability compared to Korg and Yamaha?
July 15, 2006 @11:25am
Slovenec

Who said that Fantom's are not widely used????
The Fantom does NOT sound inferior. I did however hear about some software problems in the earlier models but that has for sure been sorted out. Heck, the Korg Triton Classic when it was released had some software issues as well and it didn't stop it from becoming one of Korg's biggest sellers of all time!
The Roland Fantom series are well worth checking out IMHO. The Fantom Xa (smaller version of the Fantom) has a great sound in in some ways offers more than the Yamaha MO with full on sampling, the drum pads and 128 notes of poly rather than 64 (or 62 in the Korg TR). IMHO seriously check it out before deciding on your final purchase. Also check out the Juno G which has the same sound set as the Fantom Xa but has no sampling. Instead it allows you to record up to 4 audio tracks alongside the 16 midi sequencer tracks. It's also got 128 notes of polyphony.
A final word about polyphony------ whilst the Korg has only a maximum of 62 notes of poly, it's very important to remember that each program can only have up to 2 oscilators at once meaning your polyphony is cut down to 31 notes. The Yamaha has 64 notes of poly but many of the sounds have up to 4 oscilators at once meaning that the more complex sounds are only 16 note poly! The Roland with 128 notes still manages 32 notes of poly with up to 4 oscilators layerd at once!
The Roland also allows up to 3 insert fx in mult or performance mode which is great. However out of all of them, the Yamaha MO 6 offers the most in the fx department.
July 15, 2006 @11:36am