0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Oxygen Oxygen Oxygen 8!!

lightbluelotus

Hi Ya'll,
I recently purchased Midiman's Oxygen 8 and have absolutely no idea how to configure it to any of my software.(DP, Unity-DS1, Absynth etc...) Setup is: G4 733, OS 9.2,Motu 828
I get to the point where the little voice goes "midi recieved," when I touch a key/knob, but am totally lost about the next step.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated; even suggested books or web sites...
Midiman just simply told me that they don't know; not a Midiman problem. ?
Thanks.
February 24, 2002 @10:56pm
Roland

Hey LBL,
I just got a MIDI man Oxygen 8 and it's worked great with all the programs I've tried it with so far. I haven't yet used it with Absynth or the other programs you mentioned, so let me just try some general stuff first.
1. Be sure your cables are connected completely - that is the USB cable to the Oxygen 8 keyboard and to your computer's USB port.
2. Be sure that you installed the driver software that came with the Oxygen 8 and followed the instructions completely.
3. Be sure that your soundcard is intalled and working correctly and that you have configured your software application to play through the soundcard so that your application plays audio when you hit the software keys representing the keyboard in the program.
Now, with all those three things done, you can pretty much narrow it down to whether the Oxygen 8 is communicating properly with your program.
To do that, most programs have "system" "preferences" or "MIDI Settings" pages or options in one of the pull down menus. Just go through these pages until you get to the one that lets you assign inports and outports and assign the Keystation as the MIDI in and out source. That should do it and allow you to play the softsynth from the Oxygen 8.
Here's what the manual says just in case that helps more:
Generally with both the Mac and PC, most MIDI applications have a MIDI port configuration or settings dialog box, sometimes called “MIDI Devices” or “MIDI Setup.” It is within this dialog box that you will select or enable your MIDI input and output devices.
If the Oxygen 8 drivers are properly installed, then the port selection in this case will be the KEYSTATION In-1 (or “Port 1” on the Mac) in the input column, and then KEYSTATION Out-1 (or Port 1) in the output column. Input 1 (or Port 1), corresponds to the information that will be sent from the Oxygen 8 keyboard to your computer. Output 1 (or Port 1), corresponds to the MIDI information sent from your music application to the physical MIDI output on your Oxygen 8 that is marked “USB.” Make sure that those items are highlighted or checked. The output port that you select on a specific MIDI track within your sequence will output MIDI information to the keyboard or sound module that is attached to that port.
Let me know if that works for you.
February 26, 2002 @12:40am
lightbluelotus

So I guess I just didn't configure the channels properly, but I finally got Absynth responding to my controller. I still can't get Unity working through my Oxygen 8 though.
I'm also wondering how I can record from the synth programs onto Digital Performer. There seems to be a great little tutorial in the Sweetwater forums but I still can't quite get it.
Thanks again, and I appreciate the time you took to help me.
--LBL
February 27, 2002 @02:00am
Roland

Glad to help LBL. If you can't figure it out, just post here and I'll see if I help walk you through it. :)
February 27, 2002 @04:17am
jnchrls

Hello, I need some oxygen 8 help as well....
i'm using a TI 550 powerbook on os 10.2 and the Oxy 8 is my only midi device. I have been able to play the reason synths with the oxygen 8. But, I haven't been able to assign the knobs to any of the faders.
When using MIDI remote mapping I set the midi remote to "learn from MIDI" when I twist one of the knobs however, no signal is registered and the knob assignment is not updated.
The other issue I m having trouble with is the preset banks in the oxy 8. Do I underrstand correctly that I can program the knobs in bank P-1 to affect different paremeters than the they would affect in bank P-2? Ie in bank P-1 the knobs would controll the synth and in P-2 the knobs would controll the drums? If this is correct, how do I do it?
Any suggestions are much apreciated!
Can you recomend any good MIDI sites or books?
October 2, 2002 @02:59pm
TeeCee

The answer to these questions should lie between the manual for the software you guys are trying to use and the manual for the Oxygen8. That may not seem too helpful, but it's the truth. MIDI settings are very specific for software and hardware devices.
For instance, in Reason, you set up the four "Controller Busses" separately from the setup of "Remote Control". Remote Control is further down on the Advanced MIDI Preferences page. As you can see, the keys and control are set up independantly. I have no idea why.
Read through your manuals. When you read and learn what your devices and software can do, you will understand it much better than if someone tells you what to do to make it work. I know it gets frustrating. We've all been there.
Good luck,
October 2, 2002 @04:00pm
NukleoN

Is the Oxygen 8 mainly for controlling soft synths? I was thinking about getting one just soft synths such as FM7, Reason, etc.
October 3, 2002 @05:22am
TeeCee

It's a keyboard controller with 8 knobs with MIDI out and a USB connector. It can be used to control whatever can be controlled by MIDI notes and CC's. They probably had soft synths in mind when they created it. You can get more details from MIDIMan's web site.
October 3, 2002 @11:44pm
DP3dude

I'm a Digital Performer user, in case it isn't totally obvious . I also use 828 and microExpress. I haven't bought Oxygen 8 yet, but I'm checking things out. Please read the following not as a lecture for the above, but as me putting forth my understanding and seeing where it comes up short.
I notice that the Unity-DS question was not quite a success. The non-standalone PlugSound and Sampletank are somewhat along the same lines, I think, and in any case are what pertain to my interest. Both of those open as plug-ins inside DP3.
DP3 is most comfortable with FreeMIDI, but FreeMIDI does not yet or will never natively service MAudio's Oxygen, so far as I can tell. Looking into Oxygen 8's pdf, it concerns itself with OMS. I am thus led to assume that using the OMS compatibility mode with FreeMIDI will make the Oxygen controller known to Digital Performer. I'm such a MOTU baby that using OMS in any way twerks me off, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's got to be for Oxygen. (Maybe you could use the traditional MIDI output of Oxygen, and then create a device in FreeMIDI that effectively responds to the Oxygen, and thereby bypass the whole OMS thing. But I decided awhile back that I don't create patch lists or get down and dirty with MIDI devices when software has been made to work for me by people that like that stuff. It makes me insane.)
That accomplished, I'm pretty sure this is how it then goes. In the MIDI input portion of the given MIDI track's settings, the Oxygen controller is chosen. With SampleTank or PlugSound on an audio track, and the MIDI output of the aforesaid MIDI track is set to select that.
I don't know anything about Unity, but I suspect that this would be somewhat along the same lines inside DP. As for operating the stand-alones and then routing through Sound Manager, is it fair to say that such programs pretty much just see the Oxygen USB driver and respond accordingly, thereby funneling only the audio into Digital Performer? That doesn't much appeal to me as much of a solution, nor does say, cutting and pasting MIDI out of Reason or some other soft-synth standalone with MIDI recording capabilities into DP3. DP3 is the only place I want to edit MIDI, and tweaking MIDI data is a big part of my game. It seems to me that going back and forth is at best lame, at worst scarcely workable.
Pauses for a deep breath. If you're still with me, bless you.
I have no idea how the whole knob thing would play out, and this is an area of concern for me. How one goes about getting MIDI from the knob to the proper parameter of the soft-synth is a mystery to me. From a review of Reason I read, I gather that you constantly mouse selections. With something like SampleTank I simply have no idea. The post that suggests nosing around the manuals for MIDI addresses seems realistic, but man, I just don't know. It had better be easy. My track record sucks with that stuff. Given that making the damn music is number one, I'll go hunt down another cat skinner if in two hours I've nothing to show but a real bad attitude.
All right. Sort me out. I'd appreciate it in a huge way, and so far as I can see, this is the only place on the internet that has hit this particular wrinkle head on.
December 8, 2002 @05:47pm
TeeCee

Originally posted by DP3dude
I have no idea how the whole knob thing would play out, and this is an area of concern for me. How one goes about getting MIDI from the knob to the proper parameter of the soft-synth is a mystery to me. From a review of Reason I read, I gather that you constantly mouse selections. With something like SampleTank I simply have no idea. The post that suggests nosing around the manuals for MIDI addresses seems realistic, but man, I just don't know. It had better be easy. My track record sucks with that stuff. Given that making the damn music is number one, I'll go hunt down another cat skinner if in two hours I've nothing to show but a real bad attitude.

I don't do Macs at all, but the knob to soft synth thing for PC soft synths (which should be the same) depends on the soft synth. Many soft synths have their on-screen parameters pre-set to MIDI CC#'s. The Oxygen8's knobs can be set to MIDI CC#'s. Map your Oxygen8 to match your plug-in.
December 8, 2002 @05:56pm