0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Creation Station unable to communicate with Digi002

Dtoxic911

Hope you can help me. Im currently having problems with ProTools 7 on my Creation Station. for some reason my ProTools isnt working with my Digi002. I keep getting an error message saying "Cannot find hardware". I tried uninstalling/reinstalling ProTools but I never get the "found new hardware" window, so when reinstalling its not loading the drivers. I called tech support & they said its probably the digi002 power harness. to confirm this I unplugged my digi002 & plugged it into an older computer, loaded with ProTools 6.4. It works fine. The problem is not my Digi002 but in the Creation Station itself. How can I resolve this situation???? As of right now my Creation Station is a $2000 paperweight.
June 8, 2006 @12:20am
lvjazzman

Do you have another FireWire device you can use to check the FW port on the computer, or try another port?
June 8, 2006 @01:46am
dpd

Hope you can help me. Im currently having problems with ProTools 7 on my Creation Station. for some reason my ProTools isnt working with my Digi002. I keep getting an error message saying "Cannot find hardware". I tried uninstalling/reinstalling ProTools but I never get the "found new hardware" window, so when reinstalling its not loading the drivers. I called tech support & they said its probably the digi002 power harness. to confirm this I unplugged my digi002 & plugged it into an older computer, loaded with ProTools 6.4. It works fine. The problem is not my Digi002 but in the Creation Station itself. How can I resolve this situation???? As of right now my Creation Station is a $2000 paperweight.

I know this is stupid, but I just got the same error message when starting PT LE 7 on my CS Rack. I had CD Architect running. When I closed CD Architect, PT started fine. You can't be using the WaveDriver (e.g. routing audio from iTunes, WinAmp, WMP, Cd Architect, etc.) when starting PT.
June 8, 2006 @02:31am
Dtoxic911

as far as I can tell, nothing like that is running. Unfortunately I do not have another firewire device to check to see if the firewire port is bad, I kinda doubt thats the case, the computer is only 1 week old. Besides, the firewire port was working fine for several days, then suddenly after a forced manual re-start, it stopped working. WTF???
June 8, 2006 @10:51am
Justin

Has tech support had you do the Firewire driver "refresh"?
Windows XP SP2 has some bugs in it's firewire implementation.
Lots of DV camera and FW audio interface users are reporting this kind of problem after SP2 is installed. It's not a problem specific to Creation Stations. We've documented it on everything from a Dell desktop to a HP Dual CPU server in an Avid system we installed. It just looks like a unresolved bug in Windows XP.
We're currently researching a way to fix it out of the box so that it never happens on a Creation Station. In the meantime, we have a fix that seems to work almost all the time. Once you do this, it should stay fixed. (unless you reinstall Windows) It's relatively easy to do.
Here are PDF Instructions that you can view or print out:
http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/csresources/pdfs/firewireinterface.pdf
I hope this helps you! If this doesn't work, let us know and we'll get tech support working to see if it's a different issue.
June 8, 2006 @02:04pm
true42

I have had the exact same communication problem with my Digi002 rack. I would open up Windows XP's device manager and view all the "sound, video and game controllers" section and when I would turn the Digi002 on it would show up in the list for 2 seconds then disappear.
I have not tried the "refreshing drivers" solution posted here. I was VERY glad to read about that and will be trying it tonight.
Other things that seemed to help make it show back up and start working again for me have been:
Disabling all network connections.
If I have been using the Digidesign ASIO sound driver for other standalone applications recently (like Ableton Live, Propellerhead Reason, NI synths) it has sometimes worked if I would go to those programs and deselect the Digi ASIO driver in those programs.
I haven't been able to get these things to work every time but eventually, perhaps just by dumb luck, the Digi002 rack would be detected and stay there. This has been a frustrating thing, I really hope that refreshing the firewire driver works every time. Just wanted to mention other things that I have tried. Glad to hear it's not just me!
June 8, 2006 @03:05pm
dpd

Justin:
I've also heard about something that causes the Firewire bus to be set to less than it's max rate. Any comments and/or ideas as to ensure the bus rate gets locked in at the max rate?
June 9, 2006 @03:09am
Justin

I've heard of that too.
It happens when you update Windows XP to SP2 and have a Firewire 800 controller (1384b) installed. Service Pack 2 resets all FW800 controllers to the lowest speed setting (100) to ensure maximum compatibility. Of course this really makes problems for hard drives, DV Cameras, and audio interfaces.
You shouldn't be affected if you're using FW800.
There is a Microsoft Knowledgebase article on it. It has a patch and instructions on how to edit the registry to fix this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222/en-us
June 9, 2006 @01:55pm
true42

Just for the record. The "driver refresh" method worked perfectly for me. Haven't had the problem since.
I have had the exact same communication problem with my Digi002 rack. I would open up Windows XP's device manager and view all the "sound, video and game controllers" section and when I would turn the Digi002 on it would show up in the list for 2 seconds then disappear.
I have not tried the "refreshing drivers" solution posted here. I was VERY glad to read about that and will be trying it tonight.
Other things that seemed to help make it show back up and start working again for me have been:
Disabling all network connections.
If I have been using the Digidesign ASIO sound driver for other standalone applications recently (like Ableton Live, Propellerhead Reason, NI synths) it has sometimes worked if I would go to those programs and deselect the Digi ASIO driver in those programs.
I haven't been able to get these things to work every time but eventually, perhaps just by dumb luck, the Digi002 rack would be detected and stay there. This has been a frustrating thing, I really hope that refreshing the firewire driver works every time. Just wanted to mention other things that I have tried. Glad to hear it's not just me!
June 21, 2006 @07:32pm
Justin

Excellent. Glad to hear it's working now.
Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
June 21, 2006 @07:47pm
raul e

all you gotta do is wait till windows loads up then turn on the digi 002 and then launch pro tools it will work
June 23, 2006 @03:47am