0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Roland FP-5

Anson.Kao

Wasup Everybody;
I recently bought myself a Roland FP-5, got a great deal on it but I regret rushing the transaction because the onboard piano samples are pretty crappy, and now I'm stuck with the purchase. If you're a hardcore piano enthusiast and you've tried the Roland keyboards you will know what I'm talking about. I wish I got my hands on a Yamaha instead, now I know. For realism, Yamaha over Roland HANDS DOWN!
Anyway, onto my inquiry. I figure I can solve my problem with a quality piano sample library. What I precisely want is to play on my FP-5 and samples on the computer will sound in real time instead of the onboard samples. At the moment I don't need recording, sequencing or scoring capabilities, although I am interested in getting into that later on. What is the best route for me to achieve this?
Also, can effects e.g. reverb be applied to real time playing as I desire?
Appreciate all help! Thanks!
Anson
P.S. if this works out nicely for me, I might as well sell my FP-5 and just get a plain keyboard controller with good hammer action? Or Yamaha P140 =D *drools*
April 12, 2006 @02:46pm
Audioholic

Ivory is a fantastic piano library, 2 thumbs up! needs lots of ram for your computer though.
April 12, 2006 @03:48pm
Anson.Kao

Hey Audioholic, thanks for the suggestion, but what I really need to know is how to get realtime playback as I've described above? I've looked all over the net and I can't find anything that specifically describes how to get just that. Which software is best to allow me those capabilities, as well as potentially to do orchestral scoring and recording later on when i get to it?
Although, more suggestions for good piano libraries are welcome!
I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, although I am willing to pay more for a better library. Are the piano samples in those symphonium libraries good, because I mite benefit from having a whole orchestra later on when I get into scoring and recording.
Thanks a bunch!
April 12, 2006 @07:11pm
Audioholic

not quite sure what you mean by real time..... if you are saying that when you hit a note on your keyboard, it will trigger the piano sample in your computer in real time, yes, it will do that. you can add reverb to ivory and such. now if you play live you will have to bring a laptop with you or get a portable player like receptor.
can you illustrate what you mean by real time, cause your description is confusing me.
What orchestral library are you refering too??
April 12, 2006 @07:19pm
Anson.Kao

if you are saying that when you hit a note on your keyboard, it will trigger the piano sample in your computer in real time, yes, it will do that. you can add reverb to ivory and such.

Yes that's what I mean! I had no idea if there are programs dedicated to just doing this or if all sequencers/software sampleres automatically do this or what (yes I'm new), but now I think you know what I want.
I'm not referring to any particular libraries, I've just seen some that are just piano samples and some that are complete orchesta's including piano. I was wondering if there are some orchestral libraries with top notch pianos, that you or anyone could suggest, so I can pay one price for both.
Actually I did see one library, E/W PMI Bosendorfer 290, it says no sampler required. What does this mean? If I buy this package would it be all I need to do what I want?
btw thanks so much for working this out with me, audioholic!
April 12, 2006 @08:48pm
Anson.Kao

EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition
that's an example of an orchestra library I was talking about. it say it includes a steinway library, and...
NO SAMPLER REQUIRED!
The SILVER EDITION of the EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA comes as a VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT which includes a high-performance NATIVE INSTRUMENTS interface powered by the efficient KONTAKT audio engine, including Direct-from-Disk*, for Mac and PC (*With freely-downloadable Direct-from-Disk extension).
April 12, 2006 @08:57pm
Audioholic

east west orchestral is awesome, though I don't think the silver version comes with a piano, unless you get the silver, and silver expansion, 2 separate libraries.
with ivory, you don't need a sampler, all you need is a computer, a way to get midi to your computer, and your keyboard. (well an audio card and such as well in order to hear it.)
The piano that comes with the east west expansion is nice, however with ivory, you get more options and such, and is more versatile if you are looking for just a piano. plus for the price, I don't think there is a better choice out there...
when you start to sequence within a program, you can open up your Virtual instruments and trigger them within a program.
April 12, 2006 @09:14pm
Anson.Kao

I'm confused;
On the site it says a steinway library is included in the silver edition. There is an expansion pack but I don't think I wouldl need that. This would thus be cheaper than ivory. What kind of options does ivory have over the east west one?
Also, there are several versions. Some of them have something like (edu) in the name and they are cheaper. I'm guessing these are for people that already have certain programs?
April 12, 2006 @10:14pm
Anson.Kao

http://www.sweetwater.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10317&highlight=ivory
Audioholic;
I just found this post above of yours.
I realized I don't know enough about this at all to make a purchase yet. Could you suggest me a good way to go just to try this stuff out? So that I can learn and then have a better idea of what I want. Like maybe some demo samples and samplers just to try things out first
I figure ivory is probably my best choice... I only hesitate because if piano in the eastwest silver bundle is good enough to suit my needs, then that would be the better deal and I would have wasted money on ivory. You dig?
April 12, 2006 @10:28pm
Anson.Kao

I've found something that should help:
East West Virtual Instruments Demo
Thanks so much for helpin me out Audioholic
April 12, 2006 @10:50pm
Audioholic

you are right, looks like they include a piano with silver, strange, cause they don't with the step up, gold edition...
Ivory is a very extensively sampled piano. very real. you can control things such as pedal tone, resonance and such. It has efx such as reverb and such, basically much more control over the sound. and the pianos sound wonderully rich and beautiful.
you can check out demos at www.soundsonline.com
or for ivory go to. www.ilio.com
April 13, 2006 @02:21am
Anson.Kao

Hi again
till the demo cd arrives, I took a better look at all this stuff.
- So ESQLSO comes with a cheap version of kontakt but that wud probably good enough for me (for now). Now, if I want to try doing some recording, can kontakt do any recording at all?
- If and when I get into recording, I'm looking at cakewalk home studio, the notation/scoring feature I want, way cheaper than Sibelius, which I used to use and I loved. Would you be able to comment on the notation/scoring in cakewalk compared to something like sibelius?
- I'm totally loving the demos for ivory... I just can't get over the fact that ESQLSO will give me a piano AND an orchestra for over 100 less... if only there was a way for me to play around with the piano in ESQLSO first to see if its good enough for me... the piano i hear in the demos for ESQLSO still sounds like it will do the job of sounding real and ultimately better than my roland FP-5 onboard pianos. sighhh
If ur wondering what kinda stuff I'm into, I'm pretty crazy about solo piano and piano concertos (classical like chopin or rachmaninov, very sexy stuff, and other jazz and contemporary stuff) and I'm also interested in orchestral film scoring (like john williams, hans zimmer etc., all of those guys are awesome) but mainly piano. If you've heard the theme song for Schindler's List (John Williams) that is my favourite piece. Its what I always play when I try out a piano in the store.
Sorry for rambling, but thanks so much again for all your help!
Anson
April 14, 2006 @03:09am
michaelhoddy

Ivory blows the EastWest libraries away, no contest, including the Bosendorfer 290. It's simply more musical and more playable. I have both.
The EastWest Bosendorfer is way less of a resource hog, needing roughly one-tenth the disk space and way less CPU overhead, though, so this is expected.
A word on the Roland versus Yamaha versus virtual software piano thing:
Currently, I have a Roland RD700SX, a Yamaha P-120 (the P-140's immediate predecessor), and the aforementioned piano sample libraries. While there are certainly subjective differences, Ivory, the Roland, and the Yamaha all have good piano samples which have never once gotten in the way of me making good music.
I know that the RD700SX has a newer and better piano sample set than the FP-5, but statements such as "If you're a hardcore piano enthusiast and you've tried the Roland keyboards you will know what I'm talking about. I wish I got my hands on a Yamaha instead, now I know. For realism, Yamaha over Roland HANDS DOWN!" are so subjective, it boggles my mind.
I know I don't like the FP-5 much, but I do like other Rolands just fine. What I'm seeing is that the original poster didn't shop quite as well as they should have. Some people like Rolands. Others like Yamahas. Some like both. Both companies make fine products. When a "Yamaha" guy ends up with a Roland product he doesn't like, that's not Roland's fault, it's simply that he didn't shop around well enough to find what he truly liked.
That would seem to invalidate the "HANDS DOWN" statement, methinks.
April 14, 2006 @02:07pm
Audioholic

I have liked the piano sounds roland has offered as well.
to answer your question, the east west libraries come with kompact, not kontact. A nice player interface that lets you load in the sounds, and do some basic tweaking and efx. You can not use kompact, or even kontact for recording and sequencing.
I have the piano sounds that come with east west collosus, and While I think they are very nice, I tend to use ivory more. The collosus piano samples have thier place though, and are still nice. I wouldn't purchase the east west symphonic for the piano, I would only get it if you wanted orchestral sounds.
before you buy any virtual instruments, I would take stock of what computer you are running, how much memory and such is under the hood. Make sure you can even run these guys....
April 14, 2006 @03:05pm
Anson.Kao

Hi guys, thanks so much for your replies!
Yes, michaelhoddy, you are right. I highly regret rushing my purchase... I had moved for school and was dying for a personal instrument. But I maintain my hands down. I have tried out many of the digital pianos from both roland and yamaha (unfortunately, alot of the yamahas I only was able to try after my purchase) and I have not heard a Roland that sounds more real than a yamaha. (Comparing models of the same price range, of course the higher end Rolands may outdo a cheap Yamaha model) Also I am just talking about digital pianos, not workstations or synthesizers. P120 easily outdoes FP-5!
While there are certainly subjective differences, Ivory, the Roland, and the Yamaha all have good piano samples which have never once gotten in the way of me making good music.

My FP-5 onboard samples are getting in my way. Right now all I want is a piano that sounds real, and I also know that I will probably want an orchestra later on.
I was hoping buying sample libraries would be a quick fix for my rushed purchase. I am realizing now that if I eventually want the best I will need to buy 1 or 2 libraries, a sequencer AND a sampler... that adds up to atleast $600. Heres the thing... I'm not pro and I'm not making money off of my music... not yet.
I built my computer half year ago, Athlon XP 2900 @ 2.0 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, 160 Gb hdd, Soundblaster Live! 24bit soundcard. WinXP
April 14, 2006 @03:38pm