0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Digi 002 or Roland Workstation

YoungGiuitarist

I need help deciding between a Digi 002 or a Roland workstation, If i choose one is there anything else i would need to get, or would they stand alone fine?
March 19, 2006 @09:38pm
Audioholic

The Digi 002 is not a standalone unit, you need a computer to record with that. Then an external firewire drive or other additional drive is recommended. If you have a computer, make sure it is compatible with the 002.
March 19, 2006 @09:53pm
YoungGiuitarist

I was thinking of the package deal that they had with the 002, i'm not sure about the roland package though.... if that changes things.
March 20, 2006 @11:08pm
nargoe

I had the same question awhile back and what I learned about the two systems is that a neigher are Pro tools HD level of Recording.
they are at about the same level
the 002 Might be a bit more user friendly and intiutive
The Roland doesn't have latency problems
the 002 has more plug ins available
THe roland is more portable
Other than that you will need other gear to get up and running Good Mics and Preamps and a decent pair of monitors
I started out like you and I have spent a bundle on the extras
I have 60,000 in my project studio right now (Instruments included and I work off a roland VS 2480 platform I bypassed the AD converters with FOcusrite Preamps and a LIght Pipe works great You can get by with far less
One good thing about the 002 you can trade up
April 4, 2006 @05:13pm
Dwija

The size of your budget is a major factor. Software recording systems, be it Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar or whatever, are only as good as their host computer. For someone who already owns a powerful computer and is willing to dedicate it to recording only and not also use it for gaming, surfing the net, emails, downloading, graphic design or anything else, the software system is probably the way to go. However, this is generally not the case. Therefore, the cost of a suitable computer and monitor (or monitors when you get into multiple monitoring), taking fan noise into account, has to be added to the overall cost. The average domestic PC from Circuit City is just not going to be good enough, no matter what the sales person says.
I know many musicians who opt for the software solution and spend all their time trying to figure it out or get it to work consistently. A guy I know, wonderful guitarist and song writer, has spent the last SIX YEARS messing around with Pro Tools, building rooms, soundproofing, buying this, that and the other. All the while, not recording a single usable note. He's got hard drives full of recordings, but is so bogged down in technology that he's not produced anything. I know other musicians who use the old Roland VS880 or Korg D8 and have recorded three or four albums on it.
Just to make it clear, I'm not advocating one option over another. Personally, I use the Roland VS2480 and Pro Tools and I like them both. They excel in different areas and I use each of them according to the situation.
What you need to consider is which of the two meets your specific needs the most, at a price you can afford.
All the best
Dwija
April 23, 2006 @04:04pm
Joseph Hanna

I know many musicians who opt for the software solution and spend all their time trying to figure it out or get it to work consistently. A guy I know, wonderful guitarist and song writer, has spent the last SIX YEARS messing around with Pro Tools, building rooms, soundproofing, buying this, that and the other. All the while, not recording a single usable note. He's got hard drives full of recordings, but is so bogged down in technology that he's not produced anything. I know other musicians who use the old Roland VS880 or Korg D8 and have recorded three or four albums on it.

I can't imagine you really meant to propher this? The fact that your guitarist/songwriter has spent 6 years not recording a single usable note is an indictment of your friend NOT Pro Tools. Anyone spending 6 years puddle putzing around is NOT intending to record anything in the first place.
The same is obviously true for the Roland VS880/Korg D8 statement. Any person or persons that is motivated enough to produce three or four albums in 6 years would have produced those using Pro Tools, Roland, Korg, Porta Studio, or whatever device was at hand.
Picking a recording solution that best fit's the need of the user should be fun and ultimately rewarding. Wives tales don't help.
April 23, 2006 @05:32pm