Getting the Perfect Take in Pro Tools
Sweetwater Tech Tip Check out the complete archiveClick here »
Whether you nail your musical performance in one go or put it together from multiple passes, Pro Tools can help you get the perfect take. Just follow these easy steps:
- Choose Setups > Preferences. Under the Editing tab, enable the three “Matching Start Time Takes List” preferences.
- Select the section of the track that you want to record over. This could be a verse, chorus, guitar solo, etc.
- Choose Operations > Loop Record. Record-enable the track and start recording. Don’t worry if you have a bad take; another recording pass will start as soon as the end of the selection is reached.
- With the Selector Tool, double-click the recorded regions. You can switch to previous recording passes by Control-Clicking (Win) or Command-Clicking (Mac) on the region and choosing a previous take from the pop-up menu.
- Select the best take. If it isn’t perfect, separate out the problem areas using the Separate command. Then Control-Click (Win) or Command-Click (Mac) to choose a region from an alternate take. By doing this, you can composite the perfect take.