I'm currently in the process of downsizing my studio from 16-24 channels to 8 channels of high end gear.
The main point is, I ONLY want 8 channels of slamming preamps.
All processing is done via Waves Mercury Bundle and URS plugins
Here's my current setup.
My audio interface is the MOTU 896mk3.
8 Channels of decent mic pres
Decent clock and decent converters.
Connects to PC via Firewire
2 sets of ADAT I/O
1 set of S/PDIF
1 set of AES/EBU
At the moment, I have a Presonus Digimax FS preamp connected to my MOTU via ADAT cable.
I current have it for sale along with my AKG C414 mics.
The only samples rates I ever use is 44.1 / 44.8 and 24 bit.
Here's the pieces of gear that on my list to purchase.
1. Dangrous Music D-Box - 8 Channels of Summing - Connected via DB-25 cable - 8 XLR Outputs on the MOTU --> DB-25 cable --> DB-25 Input on the Dangerous Music D-Box
2. Antelope Audio Isochrone OCX - This is a master clock - I have no idea how this works or hooks up to my MOTU.
3. Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity - 1 - XLR Line Input, 1 - XLR Mic Input, 1 - XLR Output
4. Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II - 1 XLR Line Input, 1 - XLR Mic Input, 1 - XLR Output
5. Chandler Limited Germanium Preamp/DI - 1 XLR Line Input, 1 - XLR Mic Input, 1 - XLR Output
6. Daking Mic Pre One - 1 - 1/4" Line Input, 1 - XLR Mic Input, 1 - XLR Output, 1 - 1/4" Output
1. Without having the digital I/O on the separate preamps, how would I connect these preamps to my MOTU?
Would this be the best (or only) connection setup?
Example: AKG C414 Condenser Mic --> Input 1 on the Chandler Limited Germanium --> Output on the Chandler Limited Germanium --> Input 1 on MOTU 896Mk3 --> Recording Software
2. How do I connect the Antelope Audio Isochrone OCX Clock to my MOTU? What type of cable would I need?
* I'm assuming I would slave my MOTU to the Antelope Audio Isochrone OCX as it would be my master clock.
I'm not seeing conversion on your list, so I'm assuming you're keeping the MOTU as your conversion?
If that's the case, I'd do something about that before I worried about a master clock and definitely before I ever considered a summing box. I used to own an 896HD, and it's definitely a weaker link amongst all the other fancy stuff on your list.
Otherwise, your input chain as you list it is accurate. And you'd use a BNC word clock cable between the MOTU and the clock. But seriously, consider a converter upgrade before you go for the clock.